2000 miles in a long abandoned 1989 Jeep XJ on America's loneliest HWY, NV RT 50

Htchevyii

Heather just uploaded the first part of last weeks adventure in our 1989 XJ. For those that didn't see my previous posts, our friends gave us the XJ when they moved from N. CA to Ely NV about 6 months ago.  It had been off the road for 10 years after a botched engine swap by a previous owner. We had planned to go visit them and I thought it would be neat to surprise them by showing up in the XJ. It was a lot more work than anticipated, but we made it. 1985 miles with an average MPG of 17.97. We reached elevations as high as 9000 FT.  I was a bit leery after the ignition Control module failed on my first drive to work and the EGR valve got stuck open two days before we left, but it was a successful trip and our friends were very surprised and excited when we rolled up in their Jeep! 

There will be more to come and please consider subscribing if you enjoy, (YouTube doesn't pay a cent until you have 1000 subscribers, no matter how many views you get). Thanks for following along!

2 hours ago, jeff351 said:

Its funny how some of us enjoy the giddy excitement of "when will it break down" on a road trip. 

I've learned that it's important that everyone in the vehicle share that same level of enthusiasm. :D   not everyone is happy when I announce that we need to blast the heat in the Jeep for a bit because it's starting to overheat on the 100 degree day.  :laugh: 

Thanks! This ones a little shorter, but still some good stuff to come. I'm kinda sad that it over and it's back to work another 4 months until the next big trip. I am pretty happy that I don't have so spend all of my free time working on it although I do need to find time to paint it one of these days.

The rock paintings are pretty interesting. It is a shame that people are so disrespectful that they had to erect that massive cage to protect the art, but that's better than seeing "For a good time call Suzy ###-###-####" in the middle of an archeological treasure.

Are those painting Anasazi in origin?

13 hours ago, Eagle said:

The rock paintings are pretty interesting. It is a shame that people are so disrespectful that they had to erect that massive cage to protect the art, but that's better than seeing "For a good time call Suzy ###-###-####" in the middle of an archeological treasure.

Are those painting Anasazi in origin?

It looks like Western Shoshone. They are supposed to be some of the best preserved pictographs. Yes the gate is unfortunate, but unfortunately there's a lot of disrespectful people out there.

https://travelnevada.com/indian-culture/toquima-cave/

12 hours ago, WranglerMangler said:

My Wife and I Just watched both videos. Awesome job you guys do. Makes me want to do that drive.  Subscribed too! 

Thanks! It was a pretty neat trip, I wasn't sure what to expect on America's Loneliest HWY.  Not much traffic on 50 or 375, so that was nice. My wife gets a little discouraged sometimes, but hearing comments like that definitely helps!

1 hour ago, Htchevyii said:

My wife gets a little discouraged sometimes, but hearing comments like that definitely helps!

Nonsense.   She has inspired my wife to want to do similar weekend trips for fun.  

Thanks for living life as it should be lived.  And thanks for doing it in a Jeep instead of a new F150.    Life has many offerings just for the having.   Should you be close to the south end  of Flathead Lake,  (Recently moved from the eastern edge of the continent, just a walk from the Atlantic Ocean.) give a shout and say hello.  Your wife has camera presence and you already know that.

7 hours ago, Manche757 said:

Thanks for living life as it should be lived.  And thanks for doing it in a Jeep instead of a new F150.    Life has many offerings just for the having.   Should you be close to the south end  of Flathead Lake,  (Recently moved from the eastern edge of the continent, just a walk from the Atlantic Ocean.) give a shout and say hello.  Your wife has camera presence and you already know that.

I appreciate that! Thanks for your kind words!

On 7/8/2023 at 6:32 PM, Htchevyii said:

I think this is the best video yet of the series. 

Next weekend, we will head off to the Gambler 500 in the Comanche. It's going to be a hot one, 95 and no AC.

Great music to accompany views of ghost towns!

44 minutes ago, gvthnks said:

Dollywood in Tennessee has a steam train you can ride through the smokies as well.  It's a short ride, but it's cool.   Soot and ash falling from the sky is cool to me.  

Dollywood Express

The weird thing was getting pelted by what looked like grains of sand from the exhaust at times. :laugh: It wasn't sooty or anything though.