Junkyard trip fiasco

Car Enthusiast

Well I had a junkyard get me today. I have been looking for an external slave cylinder 2wd AX15 to swap out my BA10. Found one at a junkyard up by Atlanta about 3 hours north of me. So I called, asked if they had one, they said they had one for a 98 XJ without a crossmember. I asked them since I was driving so far if they could put their hands on it and confirm. They called me back and said yep it was there. Cool, I will be up in the morning to get it.

Next day, show up. Go into the office. They call down to their warehouse to bring it up. The guy down there says it isnt a manual but an automatic. I look at the desk guy and he says the guy down there doesnt know what he is doing. Well turns out the warehouse guy does know. When I get down to their warehouse, he is pulling down a pallet with a 4wd AW4.

Man I got mad, ask them to recheck, but nothing. So I got the luxury of listening to some podcasts for about 7 hours today, with no transmissions to do the swap with. Nothing locally, its starting to look like I am going to have to pay for some pallet shipping.

I drove my 92 2wd MJ for a couple years with a 4wd transmission. 2 low was handy several times.

4wd AX15’s are much more common. 
Throw one in and if you ever get the itch for 4wd you’ll already be half way there.

You’ll have a better drive shaft too.

2 hours ago, FrankTheDog said:

I drove my 92 2wd MJ for a couple years with a 4wd transmission. 2 low was handy several times.

4wd AX15’s are much more common. 
Throw one in and if you ever get the itch for 4wd you’ll already be half way there.

You’ll have a better drive shaft too.

I thought I was being slick by staying with a 2wd and saving some money.

2 hours ago, Pete M said:

luck of the draw sometimes with finding someone that actually knows what they are doing. :( 

Dood, if they don't know the difference between a manual and automatic they need more help than what I can give. Pretty sure the front office didnt check anything and just told me they did.

12 minutes ago, Car Enthusiast said:

Dood, if they don't know the difference between a manual and automatic they need more help than what I can give. Pretty sure the front office didnt check anything and just told me they did.

that's precisely the "what" of which I speak. :(  sometimes it's hard to find someone that knows how to actually try. 

11 hours ago, Drahcir495 said:

What a #@%! show! I would have lost it. Sorry to hear that. I will keep an eye out for those so maybe someone else won't have to go through the same thing. 

Man I was chilling in my van just steaming for a long time, but I knew there was nothing to do about it. Just went home mad as $#!&

11 hours ago, schardein said:

Sorry to hear this.  A whole day wasted.  All because a business was to lazy or to incompetent to know what they have in inventory.  I would 100% name the shop that screwed me like that.

I don't have a problem doing that. It was Kettyle Cars out of Gainsville GA. Just figured most people would never deal with them.

did you mean car-part.com ?  sometimes ya gotta search for larger, more common MJ-specific parts and then call the junkyard if you're actually looking for smaller things because those are rarely listed on that site.

16 hours ago, Pete M said:

did you mean car-part.com ?  sometimes ya gotta search for larger, more common MJ-specific parts and then call the junkyard if you're actually looking for smaller things because those are rarely listed on that site.

Correct, car-part

I actually use their app