A couple questions about my Comanche

I have couple questions regarding the shifter and transmission tunnel. I noticed that the shifter hits the mount for the center console when going into reverse to 5th. The mount looks stock so I'm not sure if this is intentional or not. The second thing that I wasn't sure on was all the sheet metal screws through the transmission tunnel. Not sure why they're there. 

IMG_2325.jpg

IMG_2332.jpg

IMG_2333.jpg

I ran into a few more issues when reinstalling the center console. The first thing that I noticed was that I had to bend/widen the center console for the screws to line up and screw into the front two mounts. (The one by the t-case shifter and the other by the regular shifter) The second issue I had was that the black insert piece that sits on the main console would no longer sit flush. There is a large gap between the two pieces now. I know these issues are probably due to the truck being a 30+ year old jeep and simply aren't worth fixing, but I though it a little strange. 

1 minute ago, CheepComanche said:

I'm not sure. I did a little research and didn't find any information about that number on the ax5 trans. 

eaglescout and jdog work at dealerships. :L:  I'm hoping they can look it up.

What the serial/production number on the trans? I can look in my rebuild books of the trans that were available and decode it. Otherwise given how old our trucks are, there is no VIN specific when looking at our trucks in the catalog. It’ll go as far as to what engine and trans it has(manual or auto) but that’s about it. I’d need a part number from the trans itself to see where it belongs to. 

24 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

What the serial/production number on the trans? I can look in my rebuild books of the trans that were available and decode it. Otherwise given how old our trucks are, there is no VIN specific when looking at our trucks in the catalog. It’ll go as far as to what engine and trans it has(manual or auto) but that’s about it. I’d need a part number from the trans itself to see where it belongs to. 

I just have this nagging feeling the trans came from a wrangler.  :dunno:

1 hour ago, CheepComanche said:

6=1986

01=january

10161 is the serial.

or like mine that was made in 88 of july.

That is all I got from the rebuild book of the AX4/5. Otherwise I didnt see a part number either to help identify it. I swear there was one somewhere.

If it was an AX15 the bell house would look different than the renix era bell house. I thought the 15's middle plate was thicker than the 4/5? 

How does the rubber mount look? Looks kinda cockeyed in one of the pics and would make me think it is off. I had this issue before when I replaced my trans mount a few years ago and had to use a ratchet strap to bring the crossmember back in line with the holes.