A couple questions about my Comanche

Wait. Do you have an 86 MJ? Cause the 207 was only available from 84-86. Something here tells me this may not have been swapped to 4wd. Is your VIN in the registry? 

And this wouldn’t have come from a CJ as they ran different trans than the AX. Course finding a 2.5L in a CJ is like finding an Eagle Kammeback. 

Ok so the t-case is a down grade, hopefully the PO was smart and used the old style external slave set up and not the internal. But I 100% think you have the correct set up and probably just need a new mount. 

mustve been a cheap "come and get this thing before I scrap it" deal to swap in a NP207. Anywho it looks like you have an 86 trans and t-case.

The shifter doesnt look like a stock XJ/MJ shifter handle, couldve been one of those they got the trans/tcase with no shifter handle and stuck a TJ one in place. Then again, looking at my XJ, I swapped it and it looks different than my MJ with no issues. 

The center of the transmission shift lever is still the center regardless of shifter itself. Changing that won't fix the 5th & Rev problem. 

Without thinking about something internal in the transmission, sounds to me like the x-member, mount, or both are shifted a bit passenger. It may be possible that the mount cushion is backwards too, but that may shift it even more if so.

On 3/19/2023 at 5:30 PM, CheepComanche said:

I ran into a few more issues when reinstalling the center console. The first thing that I noticed was that I had to bend/widen the center console for the screws to line up and screw into the front two mounts. (The one by the t-case shifter and the other by the regular shifter) The second issue I had was that the black insert piece that sits on the main console would no longer sit flush. There is a large gap between the two pieces now. I know these issues are probably due to the truck being a 30+ year old jeep and simply aren't worth fixing, but I though it a little strange. 

Thanks so much for all the insight! I'll get work replacing that trans mount. In the meantime, my main focus is the center console. I know its probably nothing and it doesn't cause any problems but it does bother me and would like to resolve it if possible. 

3 hours ago, howeitsdone said:

The center of the transmission shift lever is still the center regardless of shifter itself. Changing that won't fix the 5th & Rev problem. 

Without thinking about something internal in the transmission, sounds to me like the x-member, mount, or both are shifted a bit passenger. It may be possible that the mount cushion is backwards too, but that may shift it even more if so.

my TJ ax-15 shifter smacked the MJ console stuff too. 

23 minutes ago, Pete M said:

my TJ ax-15 shifter smacked the MJ console stuff too. 

Mine does on rare occasion. But usually only if I'm shifting too hard. Maybe chalk it up to warped plastics after 30+ years of heat baking the interior and parts shifting ever-so slightly. :dunno: