Transfer Case Linkage Advice

Hey everyone.  So I'm in the middle of my 99 XJ part out.  My plan is to put the AX-15 from my 99 XJ and drop it in my 88 MJ at some point and do a 4wd and Peugeot tranny conversion simultaneously.  I'm about ready to pull the actual tranny and engine and I'm pretty much down to a few plugs and the transfer case shift linkage.  The linkage is being a real PITA.

Since my main 88 MJ is 2wd and my 86 parts MJ has a NP 207 transfer case I can't use that as a viable example of the linkage for the NP 231 transfer case.  So first off how much of that 99 transfer case linkage is useable on a 88 MJ?  Also has anyone used anything aftermarket in an MJ such as a Novak conversion kit? 

Also this parts Jeep has been up north for a long time.  So I'm thinking about if it's overall worth attempting to save the linkage.  I really don't want to take the interior apart to remove the bracket.  Especially if it's a part I can't use and in meh condition.  If I need to do something different or it's better to do something different I most likely will just cut the linkage.

2 minutes ago, JZLAJeep said:

Don't know how much this will help you, but my 18 year old modified and simplified the Peugeot transfer case linkage to work with the AX-15 after swap. The handle and bracket were retained inside. 

I actually saw this when I used the site's search feature to find out what I'm looking for but unfortunately, it doesn't do me any good.  I only have the NP207 with the AX-5 or the AX-15 with the NP231 for a 99XJ linkage to work with.

I have the Novak linkage in my MJ. Not sure I would recommend it for the price. It is very well made but to me it is overkill and it is very hard to adjust. There are much simpler linkage solutions out there such as www.azzysdesignworks.com or www.boostwerksengineering.com. They are cheaper, simpler and get the job done.

9 minutes ago, Limeyjeeper said:

I have the Novak linkage in my MJ. Not sure I would recommend it for the price. It is very well made but to me it is overkill and it is very hard to adjust. There are much simpler linkage solutions out there such as www.azzysdesignworks.com or www.boostwerksengineering.com. They are cheaper, simpler and get the job done.

Good to know.  I walked away and had dinner to think about it.  I think I'm going to cut it away and deal with it down the road.  I seriously think these are parts I can find in a pull-a-part easy if nothing else dirt cheap.  There's enough rust under this XJ that reconditioning cheap linkage probably isn't worth it.  Especially considering this transmission is going to be in a future project and not something needed right this second.

I borrowed an engine hoist from a buddy a long time ago, and I need to get it back to him.  I got to get this engine in my good XJ hopefully before the end of the weekend so I gotta keep moving.

I have the Novak shifter, and it's a nicely built and engineered bit of kit. I got it because it pretty much was the only thing that could solve all my problems because of my weird combination (2.5/AX5/242 t-case) because of its wide range of adjustability, while all other linkages failed to work for me. But for a 4.0/AX15/231, you got way cheaper options, like the ones metioned by LimeyJeeper. Although really smooth and quality built, I think the Novak is a bit pricey and overkill for your case.