Size Matters

Well the guy with the 35/12.5-17s sold em. Wtf. I need a set of rims and tires bad n don't have brand new kind of cash on hand right now. Wal-Mart has a nice set of good year 31/10.5-15s like $645 before mount n balance. Dude wanted 750 for the 35s. Oh well, just my luck.....

35 minutes ago, Joe Dirt said:

Well the guy with the 35/12.5-17s sold em. Wtf. I need a set of rims and tires bad n don't have brand new kind of cash on hand right now. Wal-Mart has a nice set of good year 31/10.5-15s like $645 before mount n balance. Dude wanted 750 for the 35s. Oh well, just my luck.....

I feel your pain. I needed newer tires for our Comanche as the tires that were on it when we got it were completely sun rotten (but still held air after being filled amazingly). 5 new tires (235/75/15) would have been $1200; the Comanche had only cost us $600. I ended up finding four used tires (30/9.5/15 I think...) for $350 mounted and then found another set of four tires and wheels (235/75/15) for $400. With 2 Cherokees and 1 Comanche they'll get used on something...

So don't give up yet. They are out there. You may end up going from being tire poor to tire rich like I did.

1 hour ago, armyvet25 said:

some info on different axles sought after for replacement

axle comparisons

That link generalizes a lot of info and is missing a lot too. Here are a couple examples:

The D30HP is an inherently superior design for a front axle and the better use of the gear set makes it stronger than the LP D30 (all non rubicon TJ’s and 99.5+ XJs). It’s also missing info on the JK D30’s which were also a stronger design. 

2007 JK’s also had a D35 option and the modern D35 is the standard axle in JL and JT platforms.

The D44 HD gearset was introduced long before the JK made the gearset popular or well known 

12 minutes ago, armyvet25 said:

was just adding the info, figured it wasn't all inclusive, since the D35 in my Comanche has bolt on's, and won't be rock climbing, I should be good with 33's

what gear ratio will you running with those 33s?

2 hours ago, Joe Dirt said:

Idk what i was thinking.  I meant 3.07 and to be completely honest idk what's in it..... 

quick and dirty way is to jack up one rear tire, put the trans or t-case in neutral, and rotate the tire around exactly twice while counting the times the driveshaft rotates.  3 and a half is 3.55, just over 4 is 4.10, etc.  if it has a posi, you need to jack up both tires and rotate them just once.   :L: 

13 hours ago, Pete M said:

quick and dirty way is to jack up one rear tire, put the trans or t-case in neutral, and rotate the tire around exactly twice while counting the times the driveshaft rotates.  3 and a half is 3.55, just over 4 is 4.10, etc.  if it has a posi, you need to jack up both tires and rotate them just once.   :L: 

One thing i definitely know is it's an open dif. She's  a 1 wheel peel....

16 hours ago, Pete M said:

Just wanted to let you know. That was like the best tech tip I've gotten in a hot minute. I'm so happy i joined this page.

3 hours ago, Joe Dirt said:

One thing i definitely know is it's an open dif. She's  a 1 wheel peel....

the stock posi is a clutch based unit and after it wears out, it will do the same. :dunno:  but they are kinda rare so it's probably just open. :L: 

3 hours ago, Pete M said:

the stock posi is a clutch based unit and after it wears out, it will do the same. :dunno:  but they are kinda rare so it's probably just open. :L: 

I still have to go take pictures so maybe you guys can maybe tell me what rear is in this rust bucket. Like i said b4 it has perches on top someone cut to make room for u-bolts. I'm gomma be working on it tomorrow so ill put the pics up.

27 minutes ago, armyvet25 said:

thoughts on a 5 lug 12 bolt Chrysler 9.25 from a Dodge Ram, everything I've read says better stronger than Dana 44

wouldn't that be a 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern?  either way it is stronger than a 44, but marginally.  I'd still lump it in the d44/8.8/97+8.25/9" family.  V8 capable for sure, but not dana 60 levels of strong.