What tranmissions fit what??

I wouldn't mind going to an auto in my mj. What transmissions would I be looking for? Also if I did that I would want the whole swap to be 4wd. I found a local who had a few xj's for parts. He told me he had a 4x4 5 speed 90 xj. What would be the most likely tranny in it??

Thanks you guys'n'gals,,,,,,jt

if you want a direct bolt in application...these will work with the 4.0:

Manual Trans:

BA 10/5--->used 87-91

AX 15--->used 90-92 (MJ) 90-00(XJ)

i would double check the trans in the XJ b/c it could have either...i would recommend trying to locate an AX15...youll be much happier if you stay with the 5spd

Auto Trans:

AW4--->uses 87-92(MJ) 87-01

These came factory behind the 4.0 and are the easier ones to swap between...there is some more work going from a M/T to an A/T such as the TCU, kickdown cable and linkage at the T/B and the wiring needed...

which are you doing....A/T to M/T or M/T to A/T???

Well I have the ba10 now.. so I'll be going auto ( might be ) I wouldn't mind the auto, I did however use to own a 90 xj and it had a crazy thing going on with it about the overdrive or something. You would be going alone at highway speed and the it would feel like it was looking for another gear , felt like a manual clutch slipping. IDK. hard to explane

I like autos more for the DD it will be. I have a TB with the kick down bracket off a xj.

The TCU is a standalone right? If I went 4x4 from 2wd I'd still have to swap in the shift linkage with that so it wouldn't be to hard to do the autos too.

The wiring isn't patched into the dash/engine bay harness is it?

Well i have both...my MJ is a 5spd and my XJ is an A/T...both have advantages and dissadvantages.

Yea the TCU is a standalone and its below the glove box under the knee panel...and i think that you need the portion of the harness that connects from the main over to the TCU...then down to the acutal Transmisson...if you get a parts XJ make sure you take everything...and going from 2wd to 4wd you would need the trans, t/c, driveshafts from the doner and wiring for the trans(if you go to an A/T)

You need to make sure that you get the TCU, TPS and wiring harness all from the same type of motor (Renix or HO) Other than that, AW4 come in 21 spline and 23 spline outputs, so either get one to match your existing transfercase or make sure you get a tcase with the auto.

I've done the AW4 swap into a 90 MJ and a 94 YJ, it's really easy in the MJ since everything lines up.

I've read alot about different types of crazy combos lately around here so I was just wondering.

Ever heard of a auto doing what I explained earlier?

On a scale 1-10 how hard is the swap to auto?

Slipping, sure - they do it right before they die. Or it could have been the torque convertor locking and unlocking.

Scale of 1-10 Maybe a 5, and that's just because you have to run all the wiring. The actual tranny install is very easy.

I've read alot about different types of crazy combos lately around here so I was just wondering.

Ever heard of a auto doing what I explained earlier?

On a scale 1-10 how hard is the swap to auto?

Slipping, sure - they do it right before they die. Or it could have been the torque convertor locking and unlocking.

Scale of 1-10 Maybe a 5, and that's just because you have to run all the wiring. The actual tranny install is very easy.

It really felt like it could of been the converter locking , unlocking. Didn't feel like it was slipping.

Is the AW4 behind all jeep suv's that are auto/4.0's? mj,xj,zj,yj......

Is the AW4 behind all jeep suv's that are auto/4.0's? mj,xj,zj,yj......

Nope.

Used in XJ's up into the 2000's somewhere 1990 and older should be 21 spline output. 1991 and newer should be 23 spline output.

Used in MJ's I think all 4.0L's but not sure

Used in some ZJ's but not most

Never used in a YJ or TJ from the factory (Although mine has one)

TJ (Rubicon) got AW4 as an option in '03. The 4 cyl used AW4 after '87 (different bell and converter) Toyota also used the same trans (To do a diesel swap I just need a motor with auto trans bell, converter, controller harness and computer then make mounts)

999 was used in YJs and TJs (Mopar 3 speed auto) and all years except '93 Grand Cherokees (with 4.0L) which got the AW4 and highest fuel economy of all JGCs.

The best way to swap is to get the harness from the same year MJ or XJ with auto. (It bolts in easiest)

The 4 cyl used AW4 after '87 (different bell and converter) Toyota also used the same trans (To do a diesel swap I just need a motor with auto trans bell, converter, controller harness and computer then make mounts)

87-89 for the aw4 behind a 2.5L AW4 versions are also used in Isuzu Rodeos and troopers with a 60 degree bellhousing, and isuzu axiom. Isuzu also has a diesel application

The 4 cyl used AW4 after '87 (different bell and converter) Toyota also used the same trans (To do a diesel swap I just need a motor with auto trans bell, converter, controller harness and computer then make mounts)

87-89 for the aw4 behind a 2.5L AW4 versions are also used in Isuzu Rodeos and troopers with a 60 degree bellhousing, and isuzu axiom. Isuzu also has a diesel application

I didn't know Isuzu's had AW4's. I know my Rodeo has a 700r4 with a 60* bell housing.

I didn't know Isuzu's had AW4's. I know my Rodeo has a 700r4 with a 60* bell housing.

Isuzu calls it an A340, don't remember what years exactly, but they also use a lot of Gm trannys like your has

youll need to get a different flywheel,torque converter, transmission, radiator and coolant lines to the tranny. did you want to go to 4 wheel drive from 2? well i have a aw4 that will work in your mj. i bought a torque converter and a flywheel ill give you it all for 125 unless you sweet talk me. then I'm sure we can work something out. have any trades? i think that could get you going. if you need a transfer case i have a np231 that bolts up perfectly. let me know if i can help ya