Trans help

BigD.jr

Hey guys so we got an 04 TJ rn and the transmission is eating itself dose anyone know what all it takes to swap the automatic to a manual. I personally haven't done it and like I've posted about before BigD ain't here no more to help me. Any advice is welcomed 

First of all, you will need a manual transmission.  I don't remember when Jeep switched from the AX15 to the NV4500 (?), but it was around the year of your TJ.  I have heard that the two types could be swapped.  Others may know more than me.  Be sure to get the bell housing and internal parts.  Also the shifter.

Second, you will need a clutch and brake pedals.  An auto most likely has the wide brake pedal.

Get the appropriate fly wheel for your engine electronics.

Then, a master cylinder, hose line, and slave cylinder.

Get a clutch kit that includes the pressure plate, disk, and release bearing.  The kits may or may not come with a pilot bushing/bearing.  Be sure to check.

You will have to "jump" the neutral safety switch for the auto trans control so your engine will start.

The overall length of an auto trans and a manual are different, so the drive shaft lengths may have to be adjusted for the differences.

Others may add to (or correct) what I provided.

The 6 speed was a Mercedes 6 speed NSG 370. Not the greatest transmission. hard to find parts for. Jeep put the NV3550 into the TJ from 2000 to 2004. Then the NSG370 from 2005 to 2006. I still think the AX15 is the best of the bunch particularly the HD version. Plenty of parts available.

36 minutes ago, Limeyjeeper said:

The 6 speed was a Mercedes 6 speed NSG 370. Not the greatest transmission. hard to find parts for. Jeep put the NV3550 into the TJ from 2000 to 2004. Then the NSG370 from 2005 to 2006. I still think the AX15 is the best of the bunch particularly the HD version. Plenty of parts available.

:yeahthat:

I had the NSG370 in my 05 Rubi. Lots of trouble.