Overland Rig

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

The 2 pics in the summer were old, but since 2022 I traded my dick cepiks with 31’s to the turbines with 33’s. I Installed some 1.5” spacers so I wouldn’t rub anymore. I just installed my front bumper and will be installing my winch here soon. Replaced my front windshield due to somebody vandalizing it. Rear bumper install will be soon but I have to weld it on. Dana 30 HP and 44 in 4.56 with spartan locker (30) and detroit (44) will be done after I PCS to Ft. Campbell. 

My 1st, 2nd and Reverse are pretty sloppy to get into, I suspect it’s my synchro…

27B50D1E-BDC6-4CF8-BCE9-2520CB9A679C.jpeg

11C75EA7-79DD-49FA-B629-BABC7A895324.jpeg

EA48936F-3FB2-4584-AEDA-AFC38ABDCC9C.jpeg

8CA3E498-2802-4A73-B069-DD1CBD701D9B.jpeg

• 4 months later...

Towed my Jeep from Fairbanks, AK down to Clarksville, TN. Started May 11th and got here memorial day weekend. Since then I’ve cut the door pins to remove them, and sent my Dana 44 to be regeared to 4.56 and install my Detroit locker. Going to buy new leaf springs to negate the sag, and once I have that do an axle and leaf swap all in one go! Bought a BMW and I'm trying to sell my truck so she hasn’t gotten as much love as she used to, but she’s still my princess.

D93B490D-027B-416A-B6D2-FF9708982BBB.jpeg

IMG_0069.jpeg

IMG_0070.jpeg

IMG_0300.jpeg

• 1 month later...

May be a negligible question but how OK or annoyed are you with placement of the tent over the bed? Does it affect rear view much, could it be higher or is the high center of gravity weight very noticeable?

I too scheme to eventually get into the Roof Top Tent (let's say RTT for simplicity) game and do more independent camping/exploring. For now though this is something I've come to think about often either a tonneau cover setup and then RTT mounts low- preferably overall height no higher than the cab OR the RTT mounts mid height/over the cab height to even accommodate a topper

On 10/23/2023 at 4:03 AM, ThatJeepGuy said:

May be a negligible question but how OK or annoyed are you with placement of the tent over the bed? Does it affect rear view much, could it be higher or is the high center of gravity weight very noticeable?

I too scheme to eventually get into the Roof Top Tent (let's say RTT for simplicity) game and do more independent camping/exploring. For now though this is something I've come to think about often either a tonneau cover setup and then RTT mounts low- preferably overall height no higher than the cab OR the RTT mounts mid height/over the cab height to even accommodate a topper

I've got mine mounted higher. It probably sucks for aerodynamics, but I spend a lot of time crawling around in the bed, (we take at least two 10-15 days overlanding trips per year so the bed is full). The tent isn't really very heavy, I can't tell a difference driving it and my stock XJ. I don't really like having the Rotopax fuel cans mounted as high as they are, but I got tired of having to empty out the bed to get to gas cans, (our fridge and food storage are at the rear of the bed). If I can someday find a contractor type camper shell I may go that direction for better weather and dust protection as well as some theft protection. I 've also been eyeballing the Inspired Overland lightweight wedge tents they are 87 LBS for the standard and 93 LBS for the XL and are lower profile than my current tent.  They are supposed to have a Black Friday sale.

IO Lightweight Rooftop Tent - Inspired Overland

Thanks for the incite, thats pretty helpful info.

I too have considered the contractor style cap with the full doors on the back but with no noted success stories  through these webs on others applying - say a ranger or s10 sized unit like they would for just a topper I've been hesitant to swing on one for the trial and error fitment.

If I came across one cheap enough maybe but they to no surprise aren't cheap

I want the style that retains the tailgate so that narrows it down even more. Another option I've considered is building one, I have a friend who built a one similar to the pic below for his f250. There are many online who have as well.  Most use extruded t slot aluminum. I  would just build the shell and use a wedge tent on top though. With all of the stuff that we carry, I would not want to have to empty the bed onto the ground to access the tent. Sorry to the OP for the hijack. :))

camper.jpg