1988 Comanche BMW M57 Swap, Rear Coils, Bobbed

16 hours ago, pizzaman09 said:

I wish old BMW engines where that cheap here, the only decent engine that is widely available and cheap in the US is the short block Chevy and similar Chevy LS.  

I suspect a stock M52 would be really good in a 2002.  I'll be following your build, I'm intrigued to see how it works out.

Change of plans! an hour after I posted here I found an M57 that I could not pass on. Yesterday was an 11 hour trip to go and pick it up :applause:

So I guess I will be using the engine I wanted in the first place :)

image.jpeg.e42d18599b96e3cfd40e24a6d4d03dd3.jpeg

8 hours ago, colthrax said:

Change of plans! an hour after I posted here I found an M57 that I could not pass on. Yesterday was an 11 hour trip to go and pick it up :applause:

So I guess I will be using the engine I wanted in the first place :)

image.jpeg.e42d18599b96e3cfd40e24a6d4d03dd3.jpeg

That's awesome!  I am not entirely familiar with the M57, what sort of power and torque does it produce?  I see a turbo so it must be turbocharged.

This is such a crazy cool build. Very excited to see a Comanche with a M57. I know the Patrol guys in the southern hemisphere love swapping them in because of the torque and they sound awesome. You're gonna have one hell of a truck once it's done :beerbang:

5 hours ago, pizzaman09 said:

That's awesome!  I am not entirely familiar with the M57, what sort of power and torque does it produce?  I see a turbo so it must be turbocharged.

Haha, we shall see how this works out :popcorn: 

From what I understand it produces 150 kW (201 hp)    410 N⋅m (302 lb⋅ft) stock. BMW diesels are new to me. The that does tuning for me tells me I can go 260hp 600nm with it stock.  

2 hours ago, coheed said:

This is such a crazy cool build. Very excited to see a Comanche with a M57. I know the Patrol guys in the southern hemisphere love swapping them in because of the torque and they sound awesome. You're gonna have one hell of a truck once it's done :beerbang:

Those Patrol guys are amazing, I am going away for an event on saturday, then I got 3 weeks to do the swap before the next one starts:(

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It turns out there was a lot more involved than I initially thought.

I need to create an alternator relocation bracket. The BMW alternator is too big and interferes with the steering box, so I'll check if the old 4.0 generator can fit. I've completed one engine mount, but I ran out of gas and couldn't continue. The engine is mounted to the AW4 transmission, and the flexplate is bolted to the torque converter. I also purchased the "nifty shifter" from Nick. For now, I'll have to manually shift the transmission until I get around to making a mount to fit the 4.0 TPS sensor with the electric gas pedal.

AE104895-433E-4615-B42B-F3F862C530AD.jpg.b6421219918a57dec7a68eb3a16b9742.jpg7B5D6CD8-260E-4117-8317-35DEE59C852C.jpg.0254475d3b1dc6f1966d0f70556b5085.jpg

Mounted a much smaller alternator, I really hope it gives enough power for everything. Otherwise I will have to redo that in the future.

Pumped out the fuel from the fueltank, mounted a diesel filter and help pump as it needs 3 fuel pumps for some reason :confused:. Started with the wire harness. 

image.jpeg.99f59ec779ca938f5a12262c22382098.jpegimage.jpeg.9781e2db130a5682809871590ed5d106.jpeg

Finally got the engine started, after chasing a no start problem for 2 days. Turns out I had not pushed the common rail pressure relief valve connector all the way in :doh:

Found a 2.5 diesel radiator, so now I don't need to route the cooling hoses in a stupid way. Its damn hard getting the 2.5 inch intercooler pipes to fit between the lights and the body :D

image.jpeg.87b1d5e4f70268c1f58558481fbf0bea.jpeg

• colthrax changed the title to 1988 Comanche BMW M57 Swap, Rear Coils, Bobbed

Was out test driving it today, everything actually seems fine except blowing one intercooler hose. Not finished hooking up the nifty shifter, and my NSS is bad so I only had 2th and 3rd gear. 

It was only smoking that much because I was not getting boost pressure from standing still there revving :D

20 hours ago, pizzaman09 said:

I am so excited to see build is going well!  You are going to have some serious torque.  

Out of curiosity what displacement is this engine?

Is it a cast iron block?

Thank you! :)

I won't be pushing the eninge too much for now, but will stay at around 270-300hp so that will be 705nm or 520ft/lbs. But compared to the 4.0 I notice a huge difference in acceleration atleast :D

3.0 liter (2,993 cc - 182.6 cu in)

It's the cast iron one, the newer ones have a bigger bellhousing so they are harder to fit to the AW4.