1988 Comanche BMW M57 Swap, Rear Coils, Bobbed

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/3/2024 at 12:49 AM, JMRobins1 said:

What alternator did you use in place of the factory one? I'm currently doing the same swap in an XJ.

Thanks

I bought the smallest generic one I could find in the swedish version of harbour freight, I will be using the original BMW generator when I am finished with drawing up the alternator relocation brackets, and an M52 power steering pump I have left over from my swap in my bmw 1602 as the m52 pump has an external tank.

This is my version of one of the sides.

image.png.8b1a2f140e10f03df4513b9470c6b5be.png

This is the type of bracket I am trying to copy

image.png.4d34dcb7dfd65c82cf02c917288bc5a1.png

This was my plane at first, always wanted an OM606 as people keep talking about them. But I have always loved BMW and by chance I got my hands on this engine really cheap :) 

I will be following your thread when it starts :)

3 hours ago, colthrax said:

This was my plane at first, always wanted an OM606 as people keep talking about them. But I have always loved BMW and by chance I got my hands on this engine really cheap :) 

I will be following your thread when it starts :)

Don't count on it starting anytime soon, I'm 19 and between jobs rn so it'll be a bit before I have enough money for my parts lol

Thanks for the response. I think I'm going to put a WJ steering box in the XJ instead of building a bracket like that. It'll give me the room I need and allow me to move the axle forwards for more tire clearance.

7 hours ago, JMRobins1 said:

Thanks for the response. I think I'm going to put a WJ steering box in the XJ instead of building a bracket like that. It'll give me the room I need and allow me to move the axle forwards for more tire clearance.

Oh interesting, how would you go about and mount that? in front of the crossmember thing?

7 hours ago, Warren99 said:

Don't count on it starting anytime soon, I'm 19 and between jobs rn so it'll be a bit before I have enough money for my parts lol

I am not planning on leaving this forum anytime soon, I got time :D

I'm gonna plate the inside and outside of the frame with 3/16" steel and drill new holes. I'll put heavy wall tube in there to provide support against crushing the frame rail. I haven't picked the final location yet, but I have a couple of easy inches I can more it forwards and it looks like it'll work well and be easy. I have to get rid of the factory sheet metal front support anyways for the radiator, so nothing is new there. The spline that connects to the steering box is different, but the actual steering shaft is the same. I'll probably pull the telescoping tubes apart and just put in the WJ front half. It all looks pretty straightforwards. I have the box resting in there right now to see how much clearance I have, and it'll be plenty once its done. The pitman arms are different in both height and length between the XJ and WJ so that gives me options. I'm also gonna compare those pitman arms to my JK and see if that'll be an option too. The box hits the factory anti sway bar right now, so I removed that for mock up. I'm using an aftermarket one so that's not a concern. The WJ has a much better steering box in my opinion due to the large separation in bearings. It looks like it'll be a win-win all around. The JK steering box is similar, so can be an option too, but I figured the WJ would be easier to mate the XJ steering shaft to.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sadly I broke my ring gear in the front axle on day 6, so 6 out of 16 days I made it this year. only got stock gearing as spares. Next year I will bring an extra set of 4.88 with me. 

image.jpeg.d0b97ab765a5451ab016e1228e4e6c87.jpeg