What happened to Santa??

jtdesigns

soapbox.gif

Since someone brought up UNIONS. The whole purpose of a UNION is to provide a better way of life. They first started cause factories were notorously unsafe... and they wanted better working conditions and hours. Then they moved onto wages... granted some trades get paid stupid high wages, but.. lets look at some CEO's of companies that are losing money making 5-10 million a yr, plus bonuses.. and THEY ARE LOSING MONEY. Lastly UNIONS fight for better health benefits. I don't know about anyone else here, but I have had a life threatening illness, and if it wasn't for MY union brothers fighting for good health insurance in the past.. it would have ruined my life finacially. Are unions great.. HELL NO, but are they needed hell yes. Look at how hard Wal-Mart has fought to keep them out. Thats why you won't see any Wal-Marts in closed shop states.

soapbox.gif

Sorry Pete.. I just had to give a few examples ;)

I had a little chuckle about the good ole days of "buying american" I think it is absolutely correct that the USA made quality products after WWII but my father and father-in-law (retired vets) also have a different take. After WWII nearly every factory in the industrialized world was blown up by the war. The world had to buy American and we enjoyed that momopoly of sorts well into the 60's.

I had a little chuckle about the good ole days of "buying american" I think it is absolutely correct that the USA made quality products after WWII but my father and father-in-law (retired vets) also have a different take. After WWII nearly every factory in the industrialized world was blown up by the war. The world had to buy American and we enjoyed that momopoly of sorts well into the 60's.

How true. Of course during those post WWII years, we were busy pouring $$ and technology back into Japan and Germany and building their infrastructure back up. Then in the sixties and seventies they started kicking our economic butts. :nuts: Now the Chinese and the other developing countries are doing it to everyone.

I know we have a lot of younger folks on here, there is a site that explains our history and the rise of private sector unions, their contributions to the American laborer and American workforce in general.

http://usinfo.state.gov/products/pubs/h ... ewdeal.htm

Ain't that ironic about rebuilding Japan and Europe? There are two threories to that, according to my old timer father and father in law, we tried the War reparations strategy with Germany and her allies in world war I. It has been said that making the losing countries foot the bill for rebuilding the countries they attacked and for rebuilding their own gave rise to the likes of Hitler and Musilini for WWII. This caused scholars to choose the marshall plan for rebuilding all of europe including the Axis countries, and a similar plan was put forth in Japan under their first American Emperor (Mighty Mac) Douglas MacArthur.

I think what we didn't figure is what "intellectual property" means to us westerners and what it means to entreprenauers in Asia. Our Asian friends do not understand the concept of what a "copyright" is. that combined with cheap labor and little regulation and lot's of investment capital (much of it is U.S. $$) gave birth to modern China and India.