Transporting a truck -- carrier question

Joe Jeep

I might be aquiring a new truck in the near future and I would need it to be hauled from VA to me in WI. I have never shipped a vehicle before. I got a bunch of quotes from various trucking companies that range from $500-1000. Anyone have any experience with shipping vehicles? Anyone you would or would not recommend? I will have to make to decision about the truck before the end of the week so I am a bit pressed for time.

Thanks.

Joe

I was looking at having my XJ shipped out to Moab for the annual NAXJA event a couple of years ago and the best price I got was $600 -- each way. I'm sure with rising fuel costs it would be closer to $1000 by now.

I didn't do it, so I can't provide any experience, positive or negative.

what my dad did a few years ago when he bough his Bronco in Kentucky was buy a 1 way ticket to the nearest airport. he had the guy meet him there with the truck, he paid him and then drove back to Wisconsin.

i'm sure with all of the terrorists stuff going on, you will be seriously questioned for buying a 1 way ticket with no baggage.

Joe, several options for you here. Is the truck driveable? If so, as 89 said, look in to a one way airfare with one of the discount airlines, you might find something for as little as $80-100, upper end $250 one way. Where in VA is the truck located? I can tell you which airports have discount airlines (i.e. Southwest etc) flying in to them. Another similar option is to ride the ole Greyhound. Downside is you're probably looking at an 18-24hr trip from Wisco to VA, but it would only cost you @$100.

I explored the same options when I bought my Comanche from Missouri and had to get it back here to VA. Ultimately with a cheap flight, food and fuel, it was @$200 cheaper than having it shipped. In my mind, like getting milk at a 7-11, I was willing to pay more for the convenience and have it shipped.

When I sent out a request for bids to ship it here, as it sounds like you have, I got quotes that were all over the place, $500-1200. Many of them also had a sales pitch attached to the email on which pitfalls to look out for with carriers. Funny though, a lot of those messages contradicted each other. Anyway, I also researched the companies on the Better Business Bureau website. I tried to see how long they had been in business and how many reviews/reports/transactions/complaints they had. However, take the BBB info with a grain of salt as I found out many of the carriers who get bad reps just change their name since a lot of them operate through an internet site, or they submit bogus positive reviews. Also, it is unlikely you are actually dealing with the carriers, rather 99% of who you are dealing with are brokers.

Here's where it gets interesting. Most of the brokers will tell you that you need to pay a deposit to "secure your spot on the truck". All you are securing is their broker fee. Most times it's around $200. So, all of the low bids you are getting do not include the broker's fee, they are just telling you how much the carrier is going to charge to do the run. The ole bait and switch. The carrier shows up, loads your truck, then the broker calls you and says there has been a mixup and they need another $200 to deliver your truck. The broker usually does not pay the carrier until the vehicle is delivered, so they get you're deposit and your vehicle loaded with a low ball price then hit you for the rest later. What are you gonna do? Anyway, the few carriers that you deal with direct are usually the expensive ones, but these are the guys pulling 53ft parking lots. So, you're decision is to pay almost double, deal directly with the carrier yourself and have a fairly specific delivery date, OR, take on some risk, go through a broker, save several hundred dollars, but either get hit up for more $$ and/or sweat out an open ended delivery date. There are several other things to consider.

1. Are you buying from an individual or a dealer? If a dealer, they should have carriers they deal with regularly who bring their cars from auction. Try to go through the dealer since he should have a working relationship with many carriers. If possible, get the dealer to pay for it and add it on to your invoice. Most dealers should be willing to do this since they can list it as an operating expense for tax purposes. That way, you're out of the loop on "the mo' money call". I was able to do this and it worked out well. Obviously get a copy of the quote in writing, but understand the dealer is probably going to add on to it for his cost of fronting the money for you. IMO, $50-100 is worth it for at least some peace of mind, and assuming the total cost is still competitive with other realistic quotes you got.

2. Will the carrier deliver direct to you, even at your residence, or do they use a drop off point, sometimes hours away from you? DAS was mentioned above, and they are one that has specific drop off points, i.e. NOT door to door. In my case, the closest they would come was @2hrs away. This also may involve them dropping off at a shipping terminal, and unless you are there to take immediate delivery, the terminal may charge you storage or receiving fees. Obviously, find a carrier that will deliver to your residence or an easy to find shopping center where they have plenty of room to unload.

3. Do you need the truck ASAP? This is a big one and I mentioned before about open ended delivery dates. Other than the bait and switch on price, the most common complaint you will find on these deals is someone waiting weeks, sometimes months, to get their vehicle. Basically the broker takes the deal and either does not have a carrier yet (because he low balled it), or the carrier does not have a full load going your way yet. Most of the guys hauling these deals are the dually pickups you see going down the highway with a 3 car carrier on a gooseneck. So, the carrier may even be trying to fill his trailer for the back haul before he pulls out with your vehicle. Point being, this may take weeks. This is a hard one to overcome because you are just kind of at their mercy. I told my dealer, and all the brokers I got bids from, I was not in a hurry but wanted it within 2 weeks of signing the deal so at least some expectations were set.

4. If you're not going through a dealer and/or they won't front the deal for you, I would not pay the deposit until the day of the load date the broker gives you. As long as you know up front what your total cost is, you should be willing to pay a deposit, after all they and the carrier are not going to start heading your way without something in hand. Anyway, make sure you get a sales invoice for the deposit emailed or faxed to you ASAP with a handwritten signature. Also let the broker know up front if your truck is NOT loaded that day, you expect a refund of your deposit. Call your CC afterwards if this happens to make sure they did it. The balance should not be charged until you take delivery and inspect the truck.

5. Who is going to inspect the truck before it is loaded? Is it a beater or in decent shape? Get a lot of pics before it is loaded and then a copy of the existing damage sheet that was filled out by the carrier when he loaded it (get it THAT day). This way you'll have something already in hand to iinspect with when they show up.

So, all of this is not meant to scare the ba-jeezus out of you, obviously it's a lot of common sense. Ask a lot of questions, get it all in writing before you sign or put up $$, etc. etc. Like the old saying goes, "if it sounds too good to be true.........."

A few more thoughts in my final chapter of War and Peace here (sorry). I got mine shipped from MO to VA for $700 through a broker, set up by the dealer after I got a lot of my own bids. I'm no geography major but I'd say VA to WI is probably not much further, but fuel IS up 20-30 cents since I shipped mine in September. IMO you should be able to get it there for $700-900. Again, get it in writing there will be no fuel surcharges, no toll surcharges, no unloading fees, no additional broker fees, etc. etc.

I bought my Manche from a consignment dealer. I made him send me pics of the hauler (and their name and info) and my MJ AS THEY WERE LOADING IT on the truck. Yeah, they could drive it right back off, but it made me feel better about it. They said it would take a week and I actually got it a couple days early.

I can probably find the name of the broker used and maybe the carrier too. I'll look for it and pass it on if I can find it.

Last but not least, I'd be willing to consider driving it up there for you for airfare back plus food, fuel and something for my trouble. Depends on a lot of the details, but who knows.............

Again, sorry for the length and detail, but hopefully it helps you and maybe some other members.

Greg