In need of LP 44 master install assistance.

43 minutes ago, Jesse J said:

spreader plus crowbar on a ring gear bolt and wrapping some webbing around it and using a slide hammer. I can't get the stupid bearings off the true trac no one rents out a clamshell puller

Clamshell pullers are not what you need. Are you working on a used truetrac or did you install the bearings and now need to remove and adjust shims? The tool you need for carrier and pinion is this one: https://www.revolutiongear.com/product/bearing_puller

If you manage to use a clamshell puller, at the very least it ruins the bearing. If you need to install and remove bearings to set your backlash, preload etc, then garb a pair of old bearings and use a dremel or similar to grind the ID of that bearing out just enough that they slide on and off. You create what is know as a “setup bearing” that way. Makes adjustments far easier. 

24 minutes ago, Jesse J said:

I was under the impression the tool in the link is called a clamshell puller.

Lol, yep your right. I was thinking of the regular bearing pullers. East coast gear supply rents them but keep in mind that most shops don’t even have this tool. 

39 minutes ago, ghetdjc320 said:

Lol, yep your right. I was thinking of the regular bearing pullers. East coast gear supply rents them but keep in mind that most shops don’t even have this tool. 

Used a regular bearing puller to no avail :/ managed to mess up the race however

10 hours ago, ghetdjc320 said:

So, is the truetrac used and your trying to change gears? Or did you need to pull off new bearing off of a new carrier

true trac is used and I am trying to change gears. I also meant to say I messed up the cage on one of those bearings

• 2 weeks later...

So there are supposed to be these shins on the outer side of the pinion to create the right preload? Front doesn’t have them :/ also does the oil slinger go behind the rear bearing if so I forgot to put it on before I put my bearings and seals in so Isbella there a way to get that in without wrecking the seals? I assume not

3 hours ago, Jesse J said:

So there are supposed to be these shins on the outer side of the pinion to create the right preload? Front doesn’t have them :/ also does the oil slinger go behind the rear bearing if so I forgot to put it on before I put my bearings and seals in so Isbella there a way to get that in without wrecking the seals? I assume not

Oil slinger typically goes just under pinion head and it (along with shims) set your pinion depth. Preload is handled with shims on the other side. Both adjustments are 100% critical. 

4 hours ago, Jesse J said:

So there are supposed to be these shins on the outer side of the pinion to create the right preload? Front doesn’t have them :/ 

The factory used thick cast iron spacers for diff bearing preload. When you're building hundreds of thousands of axles, you can make your spacers the correct size, you don't need to stack shims. Sometimes they're under the bearing cone on the carrier, sometimes they're on the outside of the bearing, between the bearing and axle housing.

8 hours ago, ghetdjc320 said:

Oil slinger typically goes just under pinion head and it (along with shims) set your pinion depth. Preload is handled with shims on the other side. Both adjustments are 100% critical. 

well theres an oil baffle that goes directly behind the pinion head but then there is an oil slinger that only fits the small end of the pinion. how does the preload shims work it seems like that would be just set by the tightness of the nut. it makes sense that the shims are there to stop over tightening but how would one tell if you need thicker or thinner shims?

13 minutes ago, Jesse J said:

where do I buy preload shims? also I need more smaller options of carrier shims than they gave me where might one find those?

Preload shims come in the master install kit. They should have more than enough shims. Remember, set your depth first. Here is a handy little diagram. Make sure that the oil slinger is under the pinion head before the first pressed on bearing. Here is a super handy and comprehensive step by step guide I’ve used in the past:

http://www.billavista.com/tech/Articles/Gear_Setup_Bible/index.html

8F7A30C3-04E3-4120-8B9B-0987749AF91A.jpeg

On 1/29/2022 at 7:48 PM, Jesse J said:

also I have bent several of my carrier shims and need more and new ones. having trouble finding part numbers

You’ll probably need to order another shim kit. Your shims should be going UNDER your carrier bearings. It’s so much easier to do this with “setup bearings”. You can also make your own setup bearing by lightly grinding the inside of a used set of bearing until they are able to slip on and off of the carrier. Set your backlash, pinion depth, then find the “zero” lash point of the carrier and add in however many thousandths of preload the specs call for. Add the equal amount of shims to each side then press on a new set of bearings. Be careful installing your seals and make sure to add some assembly lube to all of them.