In need of LP 44 master install assistance.

So as of now I am running 2 LP 44s (87 grand waggy) the rear is set up with 4.27s and a true trac. The front is basically just a bare axle housing no seals or bearings or anything. I have a true trac for the front and the G2 4.88 gears just sitting on a shelf awaiting the master install kits I ordered back in july from bjs offroad. It has become aware to me in my search that I might need a master overhaul AND a master instal for my front and just a master install for the back axle? Anyway it looks to me like amazon is the only place that might have them in stock? I just need some help :3

Rock auto or your local parts store have plenty of kits in stock. 

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/jeep,1988,grand+wagoneer,5.9l+360cid+v8,1182361,drivetrain,differential+rebuild+kit,2224

Not sure why BJs never shipped to you but I haven’t come across any shortage for parts like these. I normally get all of my stuff from Revolution though. 

A master rebuild kit typically has even more parts than an install kit. You need the 4 bearings, shims, marking compound, ring bolts etc. 

• 2 weeks later...

ordered the richmond rebuild and it didnt come with axle seals or shims. I would like to at least get the rear set up this weekend because I have 5 days off from school what is the chance the previously set up 4.27s shims will work? I am ordering a minor install kit

11 minutes ago, Jesse J said:

ordered the richmond rebuild and it didnt come with axle seals or shims. I would like to at least get the rear set up this weekend because I have 5 days off from school what is the chance the previously set up 4.27s shims will work? I am ordering a minor install kit

Why not just grab some shims from your local auto parts store? A master install kit should always come with shims. Sounds like they may have been missing.

Just now, ghetdjc320 said:

Why not just grab some shims from your local auto parts store? A master install kit should always come with shims. Sounds like they may have been missing.

looked under the bearings and they where right there:dunce: uggh. It didnt however come with a new crush sleeve 

1 minute ago, Jesse J said:

looked under the bearings and they where right there:dunce: uggh. It didnt however come with a new crush sleeve 

You shouldn’t have a crush sleeve on that waggy axle. Just shims. A crush sleeve is a substitute for shims on some axles for the pinion gear. Low pinion Dana 30’s had those. Iirc the waggy axle is just shims for the pinion depth and preload. 

1 minute ago, ghetdjc320 said:

You shouldn’t have a crush sleeve on that waggy axle. Just shims. A crush sleeve is a substitute for shims on some axles for the pinion gear. Low pinion Dana 30’s had those. Iirc the waggy axle is just shims for the pinion depth and preload. 

oh huh sweet good to know. I am excited!

If the carrier fell out then it wouldn’t have had any preload as mentioned above. It should have a few thousandths of preload to keep tolerances tight and within spec. You should be able to remove it though without a case spreader (though it’s tough to get much preload without one). Keep some preload on the carrier using a prybar (careful not to damage the cover mating surface) while rotating the carrier using the ring bolt as described above. It’s going to take some elbow grease. When you cracked open the diff, was it full of oil?

16 hours ago, ghetdjc320 said:

If the carrier fell out then it wouldn’t have had any preload as mentioned above. It should have a few thousandths of preload to keep tolerances tight and within spec. You should be able to remove it though without a case spreader (though it’s tough to get much preload without one). Keep some preload on the carrier using a prybar (careful not to damage the cover mating surface) while rotating the carrier using the ring bolt as described above. It’s going to take some elbow grease. When you cracked open the diff, was it full of oil?

yes it was. i bought some stuff to make a case spreader after work last night so we will see how that goes

also is there supposed to be an outer axle seal on the front? It looks to me like I might be missing one but also the axle shaft doesnt have a smooth part where it looks like one might slide onto