Cluster swap from '96 to '91

Be extra sure that the tabs are aligned straight when you're done adjusting, they need to lock into place the same way they came out. If you're not careful, you can be off by 100,000 miles and have to take everything apart again and readjust.

Ask me how I know. :doh:

Just now, ktmall07 said:

Be extra sure that the tabs are aligned straight when you're done adjusting, they need to lock into place the same way they came out. If you're not careful, you can be off by 100,000, and have to take everything apart again and readjust.

Ask me how I know. :doh:

Lol, very true. I worked on a cluster and set it to 900,000. That was a pain to fix

There is another way.

I switched out my original 91 cluster for a 120mph police cluster.  I wanted to maintain the correct odometer reading right down to the tenth.

What I did was disassemble a spare speedometer to get a small shaft with an attached gear out.  This shaft is what drives the odometer.

Then I disassembled the speedometer I was going to use, just enough to separate the driving gear from the driven gear of the odometer.

I clamped the shaft and attached gear in my corded drill.  I sat the speedometer on a folded towel.  I adjusted the trigger of the drill so it turned at a fairly slow rate of speed.  Then I laid it on a folded towel and adjusted the level so the gear in the drill engaged the gear on the speedometer.  Then I turned the drill on and locked the trigger down with the trigger lock.  I watched it for a few minutes to get an idea of the rate it was moving the speedo.  Then I simply checked it every 5 minutes or so until it was close, and stopped it on the exact mileage, to the tenth.

I didn't take any pictures of the process.  But I might still have that shaft and gear in my box of gauge stuff.  It probably sounds janky, but worked like a charm.

7 hours ago, schardein said:

You might want to confirm that the warning lights in the side panel are the same between the clusters.  Seems like I have noticed differences in those panels.  The differences are probably between Renix years and HO years, but might still check to be sure.

I seem to remember a distinct difference between 91 and 96 warning light arrangements. Everything still works out - the check engine light is still the check engine light although it may be a different color or in a different place, etc., but some have been changed.