AX15 Swap and Identification

I located an AX15 transmission to swap into my 89 2WD.

The seller could only say that it came out of an XJ where the previous owner was upgrading to a 4x4 AX15. The seller does not know the year of this trans, or the year of the XJ it came out of. 

The current owner looked for numbers stamped on the case, but said he couldn’t locate any. Pic of trans below. 

What is different about a 2WD AX15 vs 4WD AX15 other than being bolted to a transfer case?

I understand I will need a bell housing, AX15 crossmember/mounts and a bushing for the pilot bearing. 

65E975B4-DE1F-47BE-9E4D-2F522A33DEB6.jpeg

Measure input shaft tip for pilot bearing and that should give you the year range of trans. You can check out novak for external bellhousing and parts and even a rebuilt unit. Other wise Id assume your local trans shop would be able to handle a rebuild of your unit. Unless your handy you can pick up a rebuild kit and gets hands on and rebuild the unit yourself. 

If the input shaft is .59 inches, you will be able to use your current pilot bearing. If it is .75 inches, you will need to purchase part number PH77, which is a pilot bushing with the same OD as your engine, but the ID of the newer AX15.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Big Dan said:

If the input shaft is .59 inches, you will be able to use your current pilot bearing. If it is .75 inches, you will need to purchase part number PH77, which is a pilot bushing with the same OD as your engine, but the ID of the newer AX15.

Thanks, now I just need a newer bell housing. 

26F1BF62-F779-4FE2-A019-631DC979E2F0.jpeg

5 hours ago, MiNi Beast said:

Measure input shaft tip for pilot bearing and that should give you the year range of trans. You can check out novak for external bellhousing and parts and even a rebuilt unit. Other wise Id assume your local trans shop would be able to handle a rebuild of your unit. Unless your handy you can pick up a rebuild kit and gets hands on and rebuild the unit yourself. 

Thank you!  There’s a local guy that specializes in Jeeps/Comanches. A transmission rebuild is way above my pay grade 😁

39 minutes ago, 89ComancheProject said:

Both, it’s good to have options 😁. Got my 2WD trans today and going to look at a 4x4 donor vehicle today. 

6A7A0DF2-BC6A-4DE2-BF8D-291C9B6DA063.jpeg

If you want to convert the AX15 from 2WD to 4WD, you will need to replace the tailcone AND the output shaft, the former of which is only available from a 4WD AX15 anyways so in no world would it be reasonable to swap it unless you already had 2 broken transmissions.

Additionally, that transmission has an external slave Bearing retainer on it so it most definitely has the larger, 3/4" pilot and will need a special pilot bushing that Big Dan mentioned unless either your engine or the transmission have been modified.

I did forget that, thank you for bringing it up. For people who see this in the future - If you're switching to external slave, ensure you purchase an external slave bearing retainer and swap that. Your internal bearing retainer will not work.

8 hours ago, scaleless said:

If you want to convert the AX15 from 2WD to 4WD, you will need to replace the tailcone AND the output shaft, the former of which is only available from a 4WD AX15 anyways so in no world would it be reasonable to swap it unless you already had 2 broken transmissions.

Additionally, that transmission has an external slave Bearing retainer on it so it most definitely has the larger, 3/4" pilot and will need a special pilot bushing that Big Dan mentioned unless either your engine or the transmission have been modified.

Thanks for confirming that. My 3:15 hr drive to get a donor 4x4 turned into 4:30 with rain and wrecks. Then after doing my walk around, I pop the hood and I’m staring at a 4 cylinder after confirming it was a 6, 😐😐😐😡😡😡. Now I have 3:15 hrs to get back home. 

36E4B3FC-86C1-4691-A05D-D15C59AB207A.png

66C5F5A0-7F4F-4AFB-A106-77DE723863A3.png

AEB28F8B-DD26-4A92-A1AD-181F7BA5EEE8.png

122625D0-368E-49E9-B208-7C18422D3658.png

6EA2E6AC-7683-4404-ADBF-F1A5D0AAA504.png