2000 XJ problems

Eagle

My 2000 XJ 4.0L 5-speed is eating throttle position sensors.

Bought new in 2000, one of the last of the 2000 model year. I replaced the throttle position sensor a little over a year ago, hoping to cure intermittent roughness. That didn't seem to fix it, so I replaced the idle air controller on March 24, at 53, 178 miles. Still didn't fix it, and it got progressively worse very quickly. I replaced the TPS again on June 21, at 53,728 miles.

When I started it up to leave work today, it didn't start smoothly, it sort of coughed to life, running very roughly. The check engine light came on, and I could smell gas. It ran, but roughly, for the few miles from the office to the highway. Once on the highway, it seemed to smooth out. I hooked up a scanner when I got home and it threw a code P0123: TPS Sensor Circuit, High Input.

What's going on here?

I'm not sure 😕 ive had similar issues with the tps and iac and after replacing 4th time, i replaced the regulator which helped with startups and since replace the fuel pump and also went to a 62mm tb. All is good now. 😆 did any of that help? 

I know the Cruise Control or Air Bags are on the same circuit. I might also try a new temp sensor. I was having rough running. I think it was the plugs. The gap had grown a lot. I didn't think I ran them that much. I replaced the Champion Truck plugs with NTK. It ran good then. I replaced the temp sensor latter. It seemed to run just a bit better.