Worth the hassle?

I have a VERY small window of opportunity to buy a front D44 for $150 off a local guy. Says it came off a '74 Dodge truck. Here's the issue though. It looks like it's set up the opposite of a Jeep axle. If you're looking at the front of the diff cover, (wide side on left & narrow side on right), the diff would be on the passenger side of the vehicle. kinda weird. Wondering if it's possibe to have the tubes pulled & switched to opposite sides, or if that's even neccassary. The tubes would have to be shortened anyway, they measure at 65" track width. I don't care about any of the gearing because it would all be upgraded, & new perches and brackets would go on with a truss. Basically want the diff housing & tubes. It also doesn't appear to be an HP. Is this axle worth the $150, and the hassel to set it up for my Jeep? What price range would I be looking at with that kind of work?

I'd pass too. If I remember right, the really trick thing to do is to find a Ford fullsize front 44 (either pre-78 F-150 or 78-79 if you're going to re-tube it, or any year solid axle F-250 but then you need to think about brakes and bolt patterns) and narrow the long side to fit a Grand Waggy axle shaft. Makes it about the right width for an MJ/XJ. Then you just have to figure out a match for the rear. Maybe a Scout rear 44?

In my opinion, it's better to start out with the best you can afford rather than the cheapest you can find.

here is pretty much everything you need to know. If the axle is a disc brake front, and the knuckles can be milled and the brakes and spindles are serviceable.. might be worth a few bucks.

This will enlighten you on the D44's

http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/web_rs44.html

Book mark it and read it often when you have questions about if the axle is worth building