Plunge method C101

42 minutes ago, russel730 said:

Any advice? I've been meaning to do this for a while and will have some time coming up. I'm novice at soldering but have been taking the time to practice.

I simply strip the wires back a half inch  or more then twist them together tightly. Then I melt a little solder on top of the twisted union and - after it cools - wrap it tightly with electrical tape. Some prefer shrink wrap but tape has always worked fine for me. 

Know this: there are two sides of the connector, in my opinion. The left side has 10 wires and the right has 13. The left side wires all easily match up except for an orange wire mates to a grey wire. 

The right side has two identical colored tan wires. Be careful to take care of those first. After those are done you can cut all the remaining wires off in one whack. They all match up. Here those two tan/brown wires are:

71AAC6F2-E4F3-408A-BFA5-72459D9A954E.jpeg

Definitely use heat shrink, specifically the kind with glue on the inside.  Not only is electrical tape much more of a hassle, but it also does not seal the joints against moisture, which leads to corrosion.

As for the joint itself, I prefer to tin both sides and simply overlap them.  It significantly reduces the bulk of the joint over twisting them together, but definitely isn't strong if poorly-soldered.