4x4

I just bought another Comanche. its an 89' sportruck 4x4. this is gonna sound stupid and I know I'm a noob, but i have no idea how to get it into 4x4. The lever on the center hump on the floor will only go to 4hi. the lever will not go past the 4hi spot.

how do i engage to get to 4low and then how do i disengage? the only other truck I've driven with 4x4 was my dads truck but that was a 2003 silverado. i don't have a clue as to how to work this system. Please help!

And also, with the 231 transfer case the truck has to be sitting still. It doesnt have shift-on-the-fly capabilities and you can't force the shifter or it will crack the case.

like this?

n69205416_32366518_1792.jpg

n69205416_32366516_8090.jpg

:brows:

you may have to be moving slowly to get into 4 hi, but will need to be stopped to get into 4 low.

That is what could happen when the case cracks!! Most of the time it's just a small crack and the only way you know it's there is because it leaks fluid like a sifter.

And also, with the 231 transfer case the truck has to be sitting still. It doesnt have shift-on-the-fly capabilities and you can't force the shifter or it will crack the case.

like this?

you may have to be moving slowly to get into 4 hi, but will need to be stopped to get into 4 low.

Another thing that we forgot is don't shift from 2HI to 4HI while the rear wheels are "spinning out" (spinning faster that the front wheels) that will cause you to hear popping sounds that are not good. :D

Same way shifting back into 2wd, don't do it while the wheels are spinning out.

Say if you are stuck in some mud and spinning your wheels, you cannot shift into 4wd while the rear wheels are spinning.

That is what could happen when the case cracks!! Most of the time it's just a small crack and the only way you know it's there is because it leaks fluid like a sifter.

like this?

You may have to be moving slowly to get into 4 hi, but will need to be stopped to get into 4 low.

Thats what happens when you drive in 4wd-hi on dry pavement....

A properly functioning NP231 is meant shift from 2wd high to 4wd-hi on the fly.

A NP242 case will shift on the fly from 2wd high to 4wd-fulltime to 4wd-hi at 85 mph+. :brows:

Yeah the shift on the fly I was referring to for him was the question he asked about shifting into low range. On my dana 300's twinsticked I could float it into low range while I was driving, you have to shift to a higher gear first on a manual transmission then float it into low. You may even have to shoot it a little throttle to get in there smooth.

Just don't try that with the 231 case :D this is the first 4wd auto I have had, shifting it is a little different than a manual... I was the same way as he is about it not shifting into low.