What is the best 3 inch lift kit?

I want to put a 3 inch lift kit on the MJ to give it a little more height and have come across a few kits that don’t appear to be on the forum.  I do see Rusty’s a bit, but most are going with the 4.5” kit.  Do any of you run the following kits, do you recommend one over the other, or do you recommend a kit that I haven’t mentioned?

Rough Country 62530 3” Suspension Lift Kit
Skyjacker JC305BPHLT 3” Add A Leafs kit
Rusty’s RK-300AL-MJ 3" Add-A-Leaf Kit

Thanks in advanced.  

A lot of people are going to tell you to avoid Rusty's and Rough Country, I've run both and they are just fine.  It depends on what you want to do with your truck, if you will be offroading a lot and always want the best and most comfortable ride possible then you may want to find a better kit that's going to be more expensive.  If you just want it lifted and are fine with riding like a 30 year old truck then any kit will do.

The biggest thing to look for in the kits are that it comes with all the parts you need and want.  3" kits usually don't have the option for a full leaf pack so you'll likely end up with an AAL for your rear springs so make sure to look over your springs good and be sure they aren't so rusted and no leaves are cracked before you commit to AAL over a new pack.

3 hours ago, Dzimm said:

A lot of people are going to tell you to avoid Rusty's and Rough Country, I've run both and they are just fine.  It depends on what you want to do with your truck, if you will be offroading a lot and always want the best and most comfortable ride possible then you may want to find a better kit that's going to be more expensive.  If you just want it lifted and are fine with riding like a 30 year old truck then any kit will do.

The biggest thing to look for in the kits are that it comes with all the parts you need and want.  3" kits usually don't have the option for a full leaf pack so you'll likely end up with an AAL for your rear springs so make sure to look over your springs good and be sure they aren't so rusted and no leaves are cracked before you commit to AAL over a new pack.

No off roading anytime soon, it’s a 2x4. The goal is to eventually make it a 4x4. So for now looking for height, but at the same time, not wanting to buy things twice if and when the time comes to make it a 4x4. 

Are there any 3” kits that offer a new leaf pack or are all AAL? I’d prefer to get all new springs. The bed of the truck isn’t leveled, so I’m assuming it’s time to start replace things. 

51 minutes ago, COMANCH3 said:

No off roading anytime soon, it’s a 2x4. The goal is to eventually make it a 4x4. So for now looking for height, but at the same time, not wanting to buy things twice if and when the time comes to make it a 4x4. 

Are there any 3” kits that offer a new leaf pack or are all AAL? I’d prefer to get all new springs. The bed of the truck isn’t leveled, so I’m assuming it’s time to start replace things. 

In that case I'd recommend just a basic kit, nothing too fancy.  Looks like the Rough Country one you posted is just springs and shocks, the Rusty's comes with springs as well as the u-bolts and rear brake line relocation bracket which is nice.  

You'll want to make sure your brake lines are lone enough by either relocation brackets or longer hoses.  At 3" up front you can move the brake fitting mount lower on the frame to extend them.  Your sway bar links will be too short so you'll want either longer links or drop brackets.  The stock lower control arms are also on the edge of acceptable at 3", some will change them out with the angled grand Cherokee lowers for a little bit more length.  These are things you can get away without doing on a street truck but you'll want to address them before going off-road as flexing the suspension could cause you issues.  I'd also recommend replacing the steering stabilizer while you are at it as I bet yours is shot if it's original.  As far as doing things twice, it's a Jeep and once you start its hard to stop.  You'll probably want more height/ability some day.

I don't know of any 3" kits that have full packs.  4.5" kits are the shortest I've seen with full packs.  The 4.5" kits tend to have the best bang for buck as far as parts included for the price, the Rusty's one for instance has everything in it you need to lift the truck which is hard to find, most kits are missing something.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/2/2021 at 9:47 AM, 89 MJ said:

Get a set of new metric ton springs. That will increase ride height and increase payload capacity, but it may ride rougher. 

General Spring sells a 5(3/2) leaf, 1700 lbs capacity. Anyone know what kind of height increase you’d get? Or is there a better option? 

On 6/13/2021 at 3:50 PM, watchamakalit said:

I have these on my truck with 4.5re springs up front and the truck sits level

Safe to say you gained 3 inches in the back?  What did you use for shocks?  Would you say the kit you put together is cheaper or better than just buying a kit?  

9 hours ago, COMANCH3 said:

Safe to say you gained 3 inches in the back?  What did you use for shocks?  Would you say the kit you put together is cheaper or better than just buying a kit?  

I would say at least 3. Maybe 3.5. I used bilsteins 5100 for shocks. I wasnt really pricing compared to kits, I wanted the payload capacity.  I would have to do some digging to see what I have in it.