LS swap vs Cummins 2.8 swap

Hello everyone, I'm currently trying to plan out the future for my truck and I'm having a hard time choosing between engine swap options.

Currently I have the 2.5 and it works ok if I don't need to go too fast but it's definitely not gonna be powerful for the future of this truck. I eventually plan on putting bigger tires and I want to be able to tow a 2000-5000lbs camper trailer around the country.

On one hand the LS is super common and offers plenty of power especially for the price you can get them used. On the other hand the r2.8 is a brand new engine with really good fuel economy and plenty of torque. 

I have seen a 2.8 put into one comanche but information on it is super scarce other than a short article I found. I really really like the idea of the 2.8 but I'm worried it won't have the power to pull a trailer and I can't find much information on how well it tows.

Any input is appreciated, thanks!

I have the 2.8 Italian diesel in my Liberty and it has plenty of power for towing. :L:  I'd wager over half it's 200k have been pulling something or another. :D but it's a much more... delicate flower of an engine than the baby cummins and I always have the threat of dropping a valve hanging over me.  :fistshake2:  but I hope to replace all that stuff this summer so I can then stop borrowing the Durango every time I need to haul a thing. 

1460104_790882854260468_2010202025_n.jpg

16 hours ago, MontanaManche said:

Hello everyone, I'm currently trying to plan out the future for my truck and I'm having a hard time choosing between engine swap options.

Currently I have the 2.5 and it works ok if I don't need to go too fast but it's definitely not gonna be powerful for the future of this truck. I eventually plan on putting bigger tires and I want to be able to tow a 2000-5000lbs camper trailer around the country.

On one hand the LS is super common and offers plenty of power especially for the price you can get them used. On the other hand the r2.8 is a brand new engine with really good fuel economy and plenty of torque. 

I have seen a 2.8 put into one comanche but information on it is super scarce other than a short article I found. I really really like the idea of the 2.8 but I'm worried it won't have the power to pull a trailer and I can't find much information on how well it tows.

Any input is appreciated, thanks!

The Cummins 2.8L is not a cheap motor....you should be aware of that. It will have plenty of power and return great fuel mileage. There's a race series (can't remember the name for the life of me) that they run 200-500 miles a day offroad across the states for a week or two at a time, many of these super buggys have 2.8L Cummins powerplants due to the reliability and fuel economy. Expect to spend around 15-20k for a swap if you do it yourself, lots of custom pieces and parts, the motor isn't available in a JY so you'll have to shell out ~9k to Cummins for a new one, plus a lot of fab time.  This being said, if money and time weren't an issue, this would be my motor of choice. Tons of torque where ya need it, they tow very well.

LS....they're cheap, plentiful, and the sky is the limit on power. They can be purchased and swapped in a week or less, swap kit so everything is nearly bolt-together are available, you can pretty much pull one on Monday from a JY and have it running in your jeep by Saturday. Fuel system stays the same since it's all gas. Parts are readily available.

Either one will work, it's all about what kind of money and time do you have. A word to the wise....towing a 5k lbs trailer with the Comanche isn't going to be fun, no matter what motor you have. The truck only weighs in around 3300 lbs and a trailer like that will be a bear to stop and keep on the road. I've pulled an XJ behind mine and it was definitely pushing the limits at anything above in-town speeds.  Just my $0.02 

I’d go Cummins. The LS has been done time and time again. A diesel MJ is one of my dream builds. I’ve seen that 2.8 in action and it’s quite impressive. There are other diesel options out there though that could be considered and are more readily swapped and economical (om617 for instance)

I would love to do a 2.8 Cummins swap.

Unfortunately, the emissions laws in CO prevent it.  Any swap I can do has to come from a vehicle in the <8600 GVWR weight class from my year or newer (1987) that was certified in the US.  Or one with a CARB EO number (like GM E-Rod crate motors).

The 2.8 was never released in a US vehicle like that and Cummins didn't do CARB certification.

So it's LS from a donor for me.