electric heater (an idea that needs nurturing)

i was wondering about swapping in an electric heater from the JY or some random car just about any electric car heater would be enough Umph to warm up a manche cab right?

(plus we're talkin bout GA here, not canada or alaska ;) )

anybody tried this? anyone have ideas of how to make the factory vacuum heater switch into an electronic style switch? or know anything useful that can shed light on the idea? i've never been around an electric one before so I'm not real sure how it all works or if i could connect the stock blower motor to one :dunno:

yall think it's worth it? (my heater doesn't work for jack, pretty sure its clogged up and stuff, not interested in fixin it.)

Just use a hose and flush your heater core both ways.

If your t-stat is good and your diverter valve(if you have A/C) works you will have heat. It will probably take about 15 minutes to fix your problem..

Just use a hose and flush your heater core both ways.

If your t-stat is good and your diverter valve(if you have A/C) works you will have heat. It will probably take about 15 minutes to fix your problem..

all the hoses are cut off round here, hardcore watering ban right now

i've flushed it before too never really helped. i'd rather do an E one so its warm before the car is though anyways

gut the under dash and mount a mojave heater in it. ;)

IIRC those are hooked to the coolant system. Problem with electric heaters in general is they pull lots of power.

At work we use water style ones in our fork trucks, and they get so warm.. we remove the doors :eek:

Just use a hose and flush your heater core both ways. If your t-stat is good and your diverter valve(if you have A/C) works you will have heat. It will probably take about 15 minutes to fix your problem..

all the hoses are cut off round here, hardcore watering ban right now. i've flushed it before too never really helped. i'd rather do an E one so its warm before the car is though anyways

Yes, a lot of amp drain on your electrics using an electric heater. :eek: For what it's worth, I recently purchased a molded set a heater core hoses (supply and return) for a 1997+ XJ. The new XJs never came with a vacuum water control valve. The hoses run straight from the thermostat housing to the heater core and eliminate the valve. 'Course you have to plug the vacuum line. I've never had better heat AND the transformation from hot air to cold air is controlled instantly by the internal fresh air door under the dash. Water constantly flows through the heater core, keeping it cleaner and the cooling system has more circulating coolant volume. Works really well jamminz.gif

could you explain that more hornbrod? you changed your 91 over to a newer style deal?

Yes, used 1997+ hoses and eliminated the water control valve. From this:

Image Not Found

To this:

Image Not Found

Got the new hoses at O'Reillys, p/nos 19038 (outlet) and 19039 (inlet).

could you explain that more hornbrod? you changed your 91 over to a newer style deal?

Image Not Found

To this:

Image Not Found

Man, you are a lifesaver :cheers:

That was information I can definately use!

Image Not Found

To this:

Image Not Found

Simple but great idea! Some day you need to post all your tricks for the rest of us to copy jamminz.gif

Simple but great idea! Some day you need to post all your tricks for the rest of us to copy jamminz.gif

Thanks. :cheers: I try to use a lot of the newer 1997+ stuff because most of it adapts readily to our older MJs, and you'd think that Mopar might have changed things for the better? Also the original parts are mostly no longer available. Stuff like hood pads, engine splash shields, and inner fender liners are usually rotted out in our rigs, but the new stuff fits just fine. Next up is the newer intake. I have the manifold and am heading to the yard tomorrow for the new power steering brackets.

Yes, used 1997+ hoses and eliminated the water control valve. Got the new hoses at O'Reillys, p/nos 19038 (outlet) and 19039 (inlet).

Man, you are a lifesaver :cheers:

That was information I can definately use!

Well, thank you StevenH :cheers: Pete was righ on as usual, just do not want anybody to take a shortcut and suffer from it. Eagle is the same way (he's jumped on a few times :oops: ) and if I screw up, I want to hear I screwed up. Hope you incorporate the JEGS Oil Pressure Safety Switch into your fuel pump circuit mate.