Electrical

My blower for heat/vents/defrost/etc doesn't work. The 25A blower fuse was bad, I replaced and fuse didn't melt again, but still no air blowing. What to do from here?

My 10A dome fuse was blown. If you try to replace it, inside fuse just melts instantly again. Where to trace wires for that, what does this fuse enable anyway? I need to wire up a dome light, none in the cab.

My horn doesn't work. Dome fuse?

Wiring in this truck was pretty damn messy. One wire coming from behind fuse panel was melted through.

I Had this same problem. It started with the horn. The meltdown started in the steering culumn and ended up going evrywhere. I had to change the wiring harness in the cab the fuse box and the harness going to the bay all the way to the relays. Take your steering culumn apart and see if the wires are melted in there to start. Do not drive it because you could have an electrical fire like I did and I just made it worse b driving it. Good luck.

Haha unfortunately I've already been through hell on this truck and I'm already WAY past the point of finally can drive the thing, and its the only running vehicle I have besides a sportbike.

If anything tell me a fire extinguisher is a must. :oops:

I already changed out the wiring harness in the engine bay.

I'll see what I can find if I get into the steering column.

I'll probably hotwire a different horn up so one works. I'm more interested to know about the blower for air, like even- where is the fan motor located?

The heater blower is under the dash above the passenger's feet. But it is removed from the engine side of the firewall.

If the motor ran solely on high and not the other speeds the likely culprit would be the resistor pack which is located above the passenger's feet and removed from the duct work with like a 7 or 8 millimeter socket. I guess there's a chance the pack died entirely but usually it's just the slow speed resistors that go kaput.

If the fan doesn't blow even on high speed (which uses no resistors), most likely the brushes are worn out and the fan is kaput. It happens. I'm on the third one in the '88 Cherokee. Easy to check -- just unplug the connector feeding the fan under the hood and hot wire it. If it still doesn't spin -- it's time for a replacement blower.

Oh, and I had a fan rust into position and wouldn't move until I poked at it with a screwdriver through the lower vent above the passengers feet. But I don't remember if it was making a noise like the motor was trying. THat was many years ago.

When I hotwire the connector from the blower motor straight to the battery, the motor DOES start spinning, but making a bad screeching/whining sound like it hasn't moved in a long time and IS bad needing replacement.

#1 question, why doesn't it try to spin when I put the heater or vent on normally, whats the next thing to troubleshoot there?

#2 how do you remove it from vehicle? Looks like there are some bolts that can be removed from the engine bay side, but then it looks like the assembly will have to come out from inside the cab- what has to be taken off inside to accomplish this?

With the dome fuse instantly blowing, what does it bypass & need wired up different if I leave it out?

#2 how do you remove it from vehicle? Looks like there are some bolts that can be removed from the engine bay side, but then it looks like the assembly will have to come out from inside the cab- what has to be taken off inside to accomplish this?

The fan is held in by three bolts in the mounting flange, removed from the engine bay side. Then you simply pull the fan out of the firewall (from the engine side). No need to go under the dashboard at all.

If you have a bad resistor pack, which controls the lower speeds ... for THAT you go under the dashboard.

I replaced the blower motor, 20A fuse I had put in there had melted, new 25A fuse in and it works I have vents now!

I have a loud @$$ air horn thing to install, I'll wire it up with a push button switch I have on the dash or something. (whats up with stock horn, took plastic center off of stock steering wheel and it looks like no wiring/terminals were ever there for a wheel horn?)

I assume dome fuse is for two lights that are on sides above seatbelts. Where is switch for those lights? I guess I'll just be wiring up others anyway...

I replaced the blower motor, 20A fuse I had put in there had melted, new 25A fuse in and it works I have vents now!

I have a loud @$$ air horn thing to install, I'll wire it up with a push button switch I have on the dash or something. (whats up with stock horn, took plastic center off of stock steering wheel and it looks like no wiring/terminals were ever there for a wheel horn?)

I assume dome fuse is for two lights that are on sides above seatbelts. Where is switch for those lights? I guess I'll just be wiring up others anyway...

Did you get one of those train horns?? crazy loud!!! The stock steering wheel horn switch is based on a ground fault. You push the button and it corrects to ground making the horn honk. It only uses one wire.

The dome light are switches in them self. You have to rotate them in their sockets to turn on. They rock in place kinda.. Really cheaply made I think. I had to tweek my to get them to work. Just pry them out and a little careful cleaning at the contacts and they shine brite now!!

Its an air horn type, they had higher and lower pitch at Autozone this one's high. Not TRAIN loud, but its louder than a regular car horn. I have it wired up to a on/off switch so I can feel like an a$$hole and leave it on blaring the horn for a sec. :D