overall length difference, 231 vs 242

Guys,

I need a measurement from anyone on here who has a 231 sitting on the ground at the moment.

I'm comparing overall length differences between a 231 and 242, and need the length of a 231 from the tranny mountng surface to the end of the tailshaft/output shaft.

I've got a 242 stashed under the house I'm gonna measure tonight.....it's a long weekend for me, and I'm thinking about swapping it into the MJ. Just want to make sure I've got a driveshaft that'll fit. I've heard rumor that the 242 is about an inch longer than the 231, but I've never measured them.

Thanks,

Jeff

Thanks man....that confirmed my suspicions.

Do you know if the front output is the same, or is it an inch furthur back? I'm guessing it's the same, as just the rear half is longer to accomodate the differential for the full time setting. If so, I won't have any worries with my front driveshaft.

Jeff

Since I got sick of reading this post and not seeing an answer, I just measuerd my 231 in the garage and my 242 under my XJ...

Both measured 17" from the transmission mounting surface to the outside edge of the output seal.

They are the same....

Both are '95 and older.

Since I got sick of reading this post and not seeing an answer, I just measuerd my 231 in the garage and my 242 under my XJ...

Both measured 17" from the transmission mounting surface to the outside edge of the output seal.

They are the same....

Both are '95 and older.

thought so, we swapped between the two and didn't notice any difference

They are the same....

Both are '95 and older.

Thank you !

• 4 weeks later...

Thread back from the dead ;) I was rebuilding a 242 to swap into my kids truck, and plopped a 231 next to it. By the tape measure it looks like the 242 is actually 1/4" shorter than the 231 Once I pull the complete 231 out of his truck, I'll set them on the table next to each other and measure with the tailhousings on.

But for reference, here's a 231 case (front one) and a 242 side by side.

PC040018.JPG

You need to measure from flange to flange, NOT the case itself. The case length is kinda irrelevant in the matter as the flanges are where the DS connects to....

When I swapped a 242 into my old MJ I recall it being aprox. 1" longer as stated above.

Just got done swapping a 242 into my sons commanche this morning. It's 1/8 to 1/4" shorter than a 231. (As measured by the amount of slip yoke sticking out).

You need to measure from flange to flange, NOT the case itself. The case length is kinda irrelevant in the matter as the flanges are where the DS connects to....

When I swapped a 242 into my old MJ I recall it being aprox. 1" longer as stated above.

It looks like they are both sitting on the studs on the transmission mounting flange. If all the studs are the same length that should give a fairly accurate measurement.