Daytime running lights

Just wanted to share.  Installed daytime running lights on my 87 as two separate led lights on bumper. They turn on with engine running.  Now I wanted to have them turn off automatically when headlights are Turned on.  Very easy. Used a 5pin relay. Ignition on power to pin 30, ground wire to pin 85, power wire from park light to pin 86, power wire to daytime running lights to pin 87A.
Works awesome. 

12 hours ago, Comanche1 said:

Just wanted to share.  Installed daytime running lights on my 87 as two separate led lights on bumper. They turn on with engine running.  Now I wanted to have them turn off automatically when headlights are Turned on.  Very easy. Used a 5pin relay. Ignition on power to pin 30, ground wire to pin 85, power wire from park light to pin 86, power wire to daytime running lights to pin 87A.
Works awesome. 

Curious where you went to get your source DC.  Under the hood somewhere, or did you go through firewall to fuse block maybe?

I've got a set of LED headlamps with built in turn signal/DRLs.  Got the turn signals hooked up and hadn't yet had the time to get the DRLs up and running.  

11 hours ago, Pete M said:

we're all big fans of pics.

Not my thread, but hey here's a pic of what I'm running:  

headlamps.jpg.b6d36d9485e412f425858b42a01e9c88.jpg

14 hours ago, coolwind57 said:

I've got a set of LED headlamps with built in turn signal/DRLs.  Got the turn signals hooked up and hadn't yet had the time to get the DRLs up and running.  

Not my thread, but hey here's a pic of what I'm running: 

Those look killer!  So much so that I just went out and bought a set, ha!

9 hours ago, scaleless said:

Those look killer!  So much so that I just went out and bought a set, ha!

I'm sure you'll be impressed as I am.  Great pattern of light without frying the eyes of other drivers.  Super white light.  These units are not cheapo either.  Well-made and heavy.  Seems like a hefty cast aluminum bucket.  I'm happy with the quality for my $160 investment.

On 4/6/2021 at 8:04 AM, coolwind57 said:

I'm sure you'll be impressed as I am.  Great pattern of light without frying the eyes of other drivers.  Super white light.  These units are not cheapo either.  Well-made and heavy.  Seems like a hefty cast aluminum bucket.  I'm happy with the quality for my $160 investment.

I have LED headlights (actually ALL internal and external LED lights), but I've never seen ones with turn signals built in. That's great! Where did you get them? I'm assuming you tapped into the factory front turn signals for power. Are they actually both white and amber (I assume the turn direction) or was that just for advertising purposes?

2 hours ago, Coyote said:

Where did you get them?

I'm sure they're available in many places, but I was able to easily find them on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08FCKHJMJ

I haven't thrown mine in yet, but this is what it shows on the tin:

981646642_Untitled-2copy.jpg.268df8acefe5ccffcdea18bd5a8a3566.jpg

So I was planning on using a relay to provide switched power for the driving lights, and then connecting that into the supply line of another relay with the control wire connecting to the turn signals.  Normally closed to the white wire for driving lights, and normally open for the amber.  Should cleanly switch between running lights and turn signals when they're active, I just worry about how many switches I'll get out of a cheap Bosch-style relay running DC before it burns itself out.  I might order a solid state relay instead, considering I wasn't mounting it anywhere I could easily replace it.

2 minutes ago, scaleless said:

I'm sure they're available in many places, but I was able to easily find them on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08FCKHJMJ

I haven't thrown mine in yet, but this is what it shows on the tin:

981646642_Untitled-2copy.jpg.268df8acefe5ccffcdea18bd5a8a3566.jpg

So I was planning on using a relay to provide switched power for the driving lights, and then connecting that into the supply line of another relay with the control wire connecting to the turn signals.  Normally closed to the white wire for driving lights, and normally open for the amber.  Should cleanly switch between running lights and turn signals when they're active, I just worry about how many switches I'll get out of a cheap Bosch-style relay running DC before it burns itself out.  I might order a solid state relay instead, considering I wasn't mounting it anywhere I could easily replace it.

Thanks for the link. Those are really nice, but $160 is kind of steep. I paid $40 for my LED headlights and they are bright indeed. Maybe it my current ones burn out, crack, etc I'll bite the bullet and swap over to those ones. In the meantime, I'd think you could just tap off the front turn signal and run it to the yellow wire in the headlight. Wouldn't even need to do an LED flasher unless your turn signals were LED too. Not sure what would happen if you run the DRL white LED at the same time you're running the turn signal amber LED, but I don't think it will cause any problems. I'm running a 3 element rear LED tail light (had to replace bad factory sockets) with 2 of the elements acting as brake lights. Together they are very bright and for everyone behind me there is no doubt in their mind that I'm hitting the brakes. Lol

On 4/10/2021 at 2:01 PM, Coyote said:

I have LED headlights (actually ALL internal and external LED lights), but I've never seen ones with turn signals built in. That's great! Where did you get them? I'm assuming you tapped into the factory front turn signals for power. Are they actually both white and amber (I assume the turn direction) or was that just for advertising purposes?

Amazon.  And yes, I tapped into turn signal wiring for power.  That horizontal line in the middle lights up white when wired as day running lights (DRL), and yellow when wired with turn signals.  There's a set of wires for turn signals and a dedicated set of wires for DRL.   I still hadn't gotten my DRLs up and running yet, but I feel there is no need to run a relay.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08FCKHJMJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

On 4/10/2021 at 5:00 PM, Coyote said:

Not sure what would happen if you run the DRL white LED at the same time you're running the turn signal amber LED, but I don't think it will cause any problems.

White DRLs cut out as yellow replaces them as soon as you hit your turn signals.  Yellow flashing only--no white in between, I believe.   The opposite headlamp remains DRL.  I saw a video of a guy that had them installed showing how they worked before I bought mine. 

I was surprised by the quality, really.   They have what appears to be aluminum housings and are quite heavy.  I chose them because they appeared to NOT be typical thin Chinese plastic crap.