How to spec out a smooth ride??

As mentioned in another thread, I’m looking at options to build up an MJ for overland/camping-type work. All these guys in shiny Toyotas want to bomb down forest service roads and I’m usually rattling my teeth trying to keep up. 

So, without getting insane (no $$$$ bypass shocks or super custom suspension), what’s my best shot at getting a smooth ride on dirt/gravel at moderate speeds?

Tires: I’ll be running 32-33ish tires. 

Front suspension: Metalcloak progressive springs seem like a great spring option. And I’ll likely have some sort of 3-link. Should I stick with rubber bushings over heims?

Rear suspension: SOA is easy and keeps a fairly flat stock spring. Or is there a better stock height spring I should use? 
There will be a decent amount of load on the rear most of the time (bed rack, tent, etc).

Shocks: I have a set of YJ Bilstein 5100’s I’d like to try and fit. I wasn’t super impressed with them on the YJ, but that suspension was super stiff anyway. 

What else should I consider??

Thanks!!

If your rear leaves are flat already, I would look into new ones, maybe some Metric tonne springs, especially considering youll be loaded with overlanding gear. At this point too you could go with rear lift springs and stay spring under, or go with some stock height springs and go spring over. I'm not sure one would be more beneficial than the other, but spring under does control spring wrap better, but that may not be an issue for you if sticking with a stockish drivetrain. I assume too by your signature, you probably still have a Dana 35 rear end. This would be a good time to upgrade to a better rear axle with disc brakes. With extra weight, better braking is always a good thing.

I put an AAL in the rear of my blue truck to lift it a couple of inches. I would say it rides better than a JKU. I'd go so far as to say it rides better than my GF's car. These are a pretty smooth riding truck, IMHO. If you don't cheap out on suspension parts, then I think you will retain a good, smooth ride.

On 2/23/2021 at 12:04 AM, Tentrax_Brent said:

Front suspension: Metalcloak progressive springs seem like a great spring option. And I’ll likely have some sort of 3-link. Should I stick with rubber bushings over heims?

Shocks: I have a set of YJ Bilstein 5100’s I’d like to try and fit. I wasn’t super impressed with them on the YJ, but that suspension was super stiff anyway. 

What else should I consider??

Thanks!!

100% rubber bushings if you want comfort. Heims will transmit any shock/vibration straight into the rest of the vehicle. Replace everything though...all that rubber is 30+ years old at this point and is likely hardened or completely shot.

For the Bilsteins, I'd highly suggest getting your jeep weighed when loaded down and then calling either Bilstein directly or if you can look up a custom suspension shop and see if they can help you out. A lot of times just giving a phone call and talking with them will help you figure out if those shocks will work for what you want. Just because they're "YJ Bilsteins" doesn't mean they are working as intended or that they'll work for your needs. You don't have to go full custom but a lot of shock manufacturers either sell revalving kits or will rebuild an existing shock to meet your needs. 

17 minutes ago, Tex06 said:

100% rubber bushings if you want comfort. Heims will transmit any shock/vibration straight into the rest of the vehicle. Replace everything though...all that rubber is 30+ years old at this point and is likely hardened or completely shot.

For the Bilsteins, I'd highly suggest getting your jeep weighed when loaded down and then calling either Bilstein directly or if you can look up a custom suspension shop and see if they can help you out. A lot of times just giving a phone call and talking with them will help you figure out if those shocks will work for what you want. Just because they're "YJ Bilsteins" doesn't mean they are working as intended or that they'll work for your needs. You don't have to go full custom but a lot of shock manufacturers either sell revalving kits or will rebuild an existing shock to meet your needs. 

That’s great advice, thanks! It would be awesome if I could find a revalving kit to match the Comanche weight. I’m not even sure if the length of those shocks is going to work, but fingers crossed. :L:

4 hours ago, 89 MJ said:

I put an AAL in the rear of my blue truck to lift it a couple of inches. I would say it rides better than a JKU. I'd go so far as to say it rides better than my GF's car. These are a pretty smooth riding truck, IMHO. If you don't cheap out on suspension parts, then I think you will retain a good, smooth ride.

That’s quite a statement!! Great to hear since I wouldn't expect AAL to give the best ride.

4 hours ago, dasbulliwagen said:

If your rear leaves are flat already, I would look into new ones, maybe some Metric tonne springs, especially considering youll be loaded with overlanding gear. At this point too you could go with rear lift springs and stay spring under, or go with some stock height springs and go spring over. I'm not sure one would be more beneficial than the other, but spring under does control spring wrap better, but that may not be an issue for you if sticking with a stockish drivetrain. I assume too by your signature, you probably still have a Dana 35 rear end. This would be a good time to upgrade to a better rear axle with disc brakes. With extra weight, better braking is always a good thing.

The stock springs are in pretty good shape actually, so I’m torn between SOA and lift springs. It also seems there aren’t a ton of MJ lift spring options out there (for the rear). Going to use a 9” out of another Jeep, but no discs....it’s on the list!