Cummins 2.8L Diesel Crate Engine

This engine has entered a few conversations and generally is considered too expensive compared to a Mercedes swap etc. I don't have an opinion either way, just posting this article/video from Four Wheeler on their experience with it. Thought it would be worth a watch for many on here. 

https://www.fourwheeler.com/events/cummins-repower-ua2020-video/?wc_mid=4035:20742&wc_rid=4035:34950555&_wcsid=12CEADA9231090A94F326B305BDD961C484283B0632BAB30

It's a good engine but only if you don't live in a strict emissions area.

I can swap a Mercedes diesel or TDI (or even XJ/MJ 2.1 diesel) that came in an 87 or newer car or light truck.  As long as it came in a vehicle in the same weight class and it is the same model year or newer I can swap it.

But even though it meets strict newer emission standards, Cummins never went through the CARB certification process so I can't use the R2.8 here.  The 2.8 is sold in vehicles all over the world but never in the USA.

One alternative is to find a vehicle from 1975 or older since those are 100% exempt here in CO.

Maybe when I retire and move out of state.

How does the 2.8 stack up comparatively to the other diesel options? Mpg/hp/tq.

Will it shake your fillings loose like the 4bt?

What are the manual trans options? I assume it could be mated to the ax-15, but would you even want to?

If money wasn't an issue would it be the engine of choice?

My dream is to have a built diesel MJ one of these days. Sort of a jeep version of the hilux. Plated frame, D44 front/rear, lockers front/rear, simple diesel engine. 2k bed capacity, 35mpg and can drive underwater. :D

• 3 years later...

I've been intrigued by the R2.8 a few times.  My twin brother works for Cummins and sometimes they run good discounts for employees.  I want to put one in my 99 BMW 328is project car.  

Not for the Comanche, the 4.0L is an awesome engine and 87 octane gasoline is much less expensive negating any benefits.