Broke Today at the Badlands

Just got home from the Badlands about an hour or so ago. Had a great time but broke a couple things :cry: I was playing in the sand having a good time , and the rearend let go. Stock Dana 35 that with a welded diff. Knew they wen't that strong but didn't think I would break one in the sand with just 235's on! drove it out of the sand and by the time I got back up to the trailer, I think the t-case let go, cause I had no forward or reverse motion. Never had a MJ t-case apart before, does is there a chain in there? Do they tend to break or come off? Thanks for any input.

Bill

Just got home from the Badlands about an hour or so ago. Had a great time but broke a couple things :cry: I was playing in the sand having a good time , and the rearend let go. Stock Dana 35 that with a welded diff. Knew they wen't that strong but didn't think I would break one in the sand with just 235's on! drove it out of the sand and by the time I got back up to the trailer, I think the t-case let go, cause I had no forward or reverse motion. Never had a MJ t-case apart before, does is there a chain in there? Do they tend to break or come off? Thanks for any input.

Bill

There's a chain in there which is what drives the front axle. You still should have power to the rear axle with a broken chain

You mean the driveshaft stopped turning?????

Cause if it was still turning, I would bet you either stripped the ring gear, or trashed the spider gears...

I think I stripped the ring gear and or the spider gears in the sand. It would still pull itself using only the front wheels till I got to the trailer and then there was a pop sound, and I had nothing. Moved the lever 2H 4H 4L, nothing in any of them. Do driveshafts moving at all. Hopefully just broke the chain in the t-case.

Bill

If you have a vacume disconnect front end check that the vacume lines didnt come off or you might have popped something in the front end as well. If your 231 is trashed, I have a 91 NP 231 from my XJ that has been rebuilt with all new bearings, seals, and chain with a JB Conversions HD SYE with 20k miles on it. I got a Stak 3 speed so I'm looking to sell this case. PM me if interested.

AARON

Np 231s are cheap enough. It'd probably be easier to just get another non-thrashed one. Make sure it has the right spline count.

Thanks for the tip! I will just look and see what the spline count is and go fromt there.

Bill

easiest way to tell is by the year/tranny.

a 1990 aw4 will have 21 spline all years from 91+ aw4 will have 23 spline

a ba10 manual will have 21 spline (89 changes to the ax15 and if you have ax15 it will be 23 spline)

Np 231s are cheap enough. It'd probably be easier to just get another non-thrashed one. Make sure it has the right spline count.

Thanks for the tip! I will just look and see what the spline count is and go fromt there.

Bill

easiest way to tell is by the year/tranny.

a 1990 aw4 will have 21 spline all years from 91+ aw4 will have 23 spline

a ba10 manual will have 21 spline (89 changes to the ax15 and if you have ax15 it will be 23 spline)

Great at least now I know what to look for at the Pick N Pull! Thanks!

BBC