71’ Chevelle SS454

I’ve been bugging my dad for several years to get this beauty out of the garage and start working on it together. It’s got tags dated from the early 90’s if that tells around how long it’s been parked. He was moving last year and called me out of the blue and said since I’ve been pretty persistent about wanting to get it going again and he never has time to work on it. How would I like to have it. I wasn’t going to say no. I will have to see if I can find the build sheet in one of the many interior hiding places the factory puts them, if it’s still their, to see if it is a true SS or a clone. I’ve been researching and have found that there are a few things that don’t belong on an SS. If it is a true SS and numbers are matching it will be a restoration project, if not then it will be a restomod project. Funny thing is my wife has always given me crap for having owned Chevy vehicles in the past, she’s a Ford girl, but when I sent her pictures of the Chevrolet and told her it was a Chevy she replied,”Well I like old cars.” She also doesn’t like driving standards. We will see if she changes her mind after I get it going again.

2E9DD959-C070-4E5F-BDDD-3328CD3B12A7.jpeg

582F3B92-B11C-449C-A8B9-A0D25370ED00.jpeg

49BC6285-8922-422B-9B05-C12F860BBEFE.jpeg

42706A7F-BE93-4520-AFD9-C46763F15E60.jpeg

439C9247-BEFC-4418-8007-456652B7DA4C.jpeg

9 hours ago, RustyRodder said:

Very nice!!! My dad and I have a 69 SS. 

Make sure you are checking your data to the right year- thats a 71 model, unless the grill/header/parking lights have been changed 

This and the wheels are not SS wheels is why I want to find the build sheet for sure. I’ve bought some literature for restoration purposes also.

It has been parked for about twenty years but last I remember from when I was little it was a tire burning rocket. About a month ago I went to look at the body a little closer and when rolling down the driver’s side quarter window it fell off the track so I know it will need some work I left it alone after that. I’m hoping to get started on it soon.

@RustyRodderNow that I think about it, I believe you are right and I have been mistaken. I wish I knew how to change the topic title now. I’m pretty sure my phone autocorrected “Chevelle” into “Chevrolet” also.  I do believe it is a 71’ SS. I plan on going to inspect the condition of the engine within the next week or two. If memory serves me correct, I think 71’ was the last year for the 454 also but I’m not 100% positive on that.

So 1971 was not the last year for the 454 but it was the first year that the SS package was more of a looks package than a true performance package. 1970 was the last year that Chevrolet made a production model SS with the higher powered LS6 454. I need to refresh my brain. I work nights and between work and working on the Comanche, I think I got a total of 10 hours of sleep last week.

18 hours ago, All around mj said:

So 1971 was not the last year for the 454 but it was the first year that the SS package was more of a looks package than a true performance package. 1970 was the last year that Chevrolet made a production model SS with the higher powered LS6 454. I need to refresh my brain. I work nights and between work and working on the Comanche, I think I got a total of 10 hours of sleep last week.

All good!

I passed up a chance at a 454 powered 1973 S3 once.  Regrets there. 

71 was a bit of the 'true' SS, since you could still get the 402 and LS5.  Early literature listed the LS6 and LS7, but they ended up being over the counter dealer instaled engines.  You also had the Heavy Chevy in 1971, which was a cool one. 

Stick some ATF or MMO in the cylinders, let it sit for a few days.  Then crank it over by hand a few times.  Do you have a drill that you can prime the oil system with?  If you do, great.  If not, it can be risky.  A friend didnt prime the system, but had no problem reviving a 73 mach 1 with a 351 2v after 32 years. just nervous at first oil change for bearing material!