Corvair hood louvres

Jesse J

57 minutes ago, The86manche said:

What about 5.9 zj louvers? I have a set but no I'm not willing to sell lol

are you talking about these

98 Jeep ZJ OEM Grand Cherokee hood vents grilles louvres oem 5014536AA  5014537AA | eBay

they are fine I dig the look of the corvair ones though. or I might consider making some that look like the below 

Jeep ZJ Louvered Aluminum Hood Bolt-On cooling panels Grand Cherokee  1993-1998 louvers - Rod Louvers and Sheet Metal design

48 minutes ago, Jesse J said:

are you talking about these

98 Jeep ZJ OEM Grand Cherokee hood vents grilles louvres oem 5014536AA  5014537AA | eBay

they are fine I dig the look of the corvair ones though. or I might consider making some that look like the below 

Jeep ZJ Louvered Aluminum Hood Bolt-On cooling panels Grand Cherokee  1993-1998 louvers - Rod Louvers and Sheet Metal design

I sure am. Would probably be easier to find than corvair louvers. But who knows.

But i love the simple but also practical design of the 5.9 louvers

Yeah the yj ones are just too round they fit the yj not the xj/mj. I am worried about having too much cooling with them. especially because I don't have a coolant temp gauge. but if that is the case I could cover up one of the louvers. utah does get very warm in the summer but also it gets down to 10 in the winter so maybe some removable sliding cover is in order

a factory MJ engine does not require even a hood at all to get up to operating temperature.  and doesn't need any extra holes in the hood to stay cool.  a factory-spec functioning cooling system is all these trucks have ever needed.  :L:  keep in mind that the engine bay is not a sealed box.  there are gigantic holes on the bottom of the engine bay and fans up front that are constantly pushing air through the system. 

My MJ with brand new everything can still get warm when off-roading slowly. Best solution for that is a cooling fan override switch, just leave the cooling fan running all the time. 

additional cooling on the hood can be helpful. 

4 minutes ago, Sir Sam said:

My MJ with brand new everything can still get warm when off-roading slowly. Best solution for that is a cooling fan override switch, just leave the cooling fan running all the time. 

additional cooling on the hood can be helpful. 

not a bad idea actually:nuts:

I had a 5.9 ZJ with those vents actually. Vents and scoops need to be strategically placed to do any good since there are high and low pressure spots on the hood. All of that becomes somewhat mute though when crawling since there is little to no airflow over the hood. Hyline off-road had some panels that were similar to some other ones you posted here but they had some portions venting and other scooping in air. I run a Mach1 hood scoop on my mj but there was significant bodywork involved to get the lines just right. 

A stock 4.0 should have ni overheating issues though on a good functioning oem system. All radiators are not created equally though. Also, high volume water pumps need to be part of a high volume cooling system or else they flow the water faster than the radiator can efficiently cool it. Switching from a high volume flowkooler to an oem pump actually made my Jeep run cooler. But my engine is by no means stock :brows: