My 89 quit and won't start now

Yes, hit and miss but mostly hit today.  Starts and restarts pretty well.  I think I'll go at cleaning all connections. Maybe the distributor cap is dirty inside like you say :)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

moustiure build up when plowing is very feasible. even going through a mud hole i get same symptoms. my cps is due to be changed as well. i have a brand new in parts box. might as well get it changed i reckon, said to be 38* today. good day to work outside. :shaking:   

1 hour ago, vfb said:

I think that was it. I used alligator clips and got a reading. It started at .4 then fluctuated between .6 and .8  Is this ok or too much?  I know .5 is ideal. 

These are good readings. Time to move on to the next items. However, if it starts cranking but not starting again, this would be the very first thing I would check. 

The four things you need for a running engine (in order of likely fails) are:

1. Spark
  2. Fuel
  3. Air
  4. Compression/ Timing

You can check for spark at the end of a plug wire like MiniBeast says. If that checks good and you are still have a no run condition I would move on to fuel. Any auto parts store should rent you a pressure gauge for "free" ie: you put down a deposit when you check the tool out and get that money back when you return it. Should be 31 psi with the vacuum attached at the Fuel Pressure Regulator and 39 if you remove the vacuum hose.

Good luck!

6 hours ago, vfb said:

I think that was it. I used alligator clips and got a reading. It started at .4 then fluctuated between .6 and .8  Is this ok or too much?  I know .5 is ideal. 

Should I check the coil next?

.5 and above is wonderful.

Could the CPS test show different results in a no-start situation compared to when it starts fine?   When I tested, it was in a good phase where it seemed to start .......that's when i tested.  Then it ran well for about 10 or 15 minutes while I drove around and pushed some snow for a bit, but then it quit and wouldn't start for an hour or two. This seems to be a pretty consistent pattern.

I'll have to jump on testing for spark as soon as it quits obviously.

also that cps could be getting wet from the snow pushing. could also be getting heat soaked from pushing the snow. seems you have spark fine so still leaning towards cps or plug connection on the cps. have you inspected under you distributor cap yet? 

I ran it for about 10 min again today and it quit again.  I brought the multimeter with me and I tested the CPS when it wouldn't start and got a zero reading. Could this be right?   Going from a great reading to 0?  I'm pretty sure that I had good connections.

It seems heat related and I also tried another coil I had around, but no luck.

Haven't yet been able to test for spark in the no-start scenario but tomorrow will have a friend here so that should help.

And....MiNi....... I will look at the distributor but it stalled inconveniently and too far away.  Once I get it started (hopefully) and get it closer I'll try that too.  

1 hour ago, vfb said:

CPS when it wouldn't start and got a zero reading

Sounds like its time to break out the extensions, learn some new curse words, crawl under the truck, and change out your CPS. I recommend getting one from NAPA as they seem to have the best track record. Either that or see if @eaglescout526 can hook you up with an OEM version.

Ok sorry.... correction. When I say "pretty sure I had good connections", I should have said "not sure" :brickwall:.

I just did it again and got readings of .6 and it hung in about .8 while still in a no-start mode.  I hope this means the CPS is ok.  I do actually like the idea of trying it myself sometime but also I'll admit, "the older I get, the colder I get".  Doing it for the first time while lying on the frozen ground, (even with new curse words ready), really doesn't appeal.  If I can put it off for a few months it would be better.

6 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

There’s still some left. I think they are going fast. 

Thanks for that offer but since I am in Canada, and the fact that I use it for plowing and need to sort this out before the next snowfall, I think the timing with shipping isn't good.

So,

1. attaching spare coil didn't help
  2. CPS tests good
  3. too dark to look at distributor today :(
  4. Tomorrow, try to get a no-start when I can have help checking spark

Many thanks for trying to help me.

Unfortunately I reached the limit of my knowledge, time, and patience so I sent it in to a garage and someone who actually knows what they are doing. 

30 minutes ago, vfb said:

Many thanks for trying to help me.

Unfortunately I reached the limit of my knowledge, time, and patience so I sent it in to a garage and someone who actually knows what they are doing. 

well i know you can do it. however, i :applause:your efforts and your limitations. you are aware of your cabililites and know when to have it worked on by more knowledgeable people that have the time to dedicate to fixing the problem.  please keep us updated as to the results. appreciate your being apart of the club. we all don't fix our own but its nice when we can as to save a few bucks. looking forward to a pic of you pushing snow in your heep. :brows: