Custom leaf springs - spring-under with a Ford 8.8

Just what we all need is another leaf spring thread, but I am having difficulty finding what I need.

I’ve been under the impression that I could order a custom set from General Spring, but that is not the case.

I am currently running an 8.8 rear axle on my 88 swb 4x4. I am using a bastard-pack and Chevy drop shackles to fit 31’s and keep a rake to the stance. I typically have a camper top and gear/tools in the bed, and the current springs are way too soft.

I am planning on running 32’s soon, but want to change my leaf springs first. My problem is with the increased tube diameter of the 8.8 and wanting to stay spring-under.

I am not interested in cheap lift springs or AALs.

I contacted General Spring about getting increased arch on a set of their 1700# capacity military-wrapped 5-pack springs, but they will only do stock.

I am waiting to hear back from Eaton spring now. I know Deavor may also be an option, but they seem a bit more pricey.

Does anyone have any recommendations on what to do here?

844b8f440e78fa05143d3524cb76da68.jpg

acf64b82a3afd5d13f1b961254f25f7f.jpg

60f63a6cd18ebf90f7ee996b5de74116.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A few members have reported getting a couple inches lift out of the General “stock height” springs. 
If you can find a spring shop somewhat local to you, they should be able to help you out. There’s a place in the city here that builds springs for us at work that come out cheaper than getting new springs from the parts store/dealer, although shipping a set of springs down to you from the land of polar bears would be murder.

There are a couple of places in Portland, Oregon. One of them will make custom springs, Benz Spring. Looks like they are actually in Salem, now, www.Benzspring.com

Like gogmorgo says, shipping will be pretty high. But not as bad as crossing the border.

Thank you everyone for the helpful info!

I’ve reached out to a few more companies, but have yet to try Alcan.
Hell Creek’s 4.5” lift spring has a 1440# spring rate, which is plenty I think. They were very helpful when I inquired about this.
I know they don’t make their own springs anymore, but they do use a US manufacturer and their original specs.

[mention]Pete M [/mention] Let me get back to you on that. I will say, I am running XJ UpCountry coils (CC784) with a 3/4” spacer, if I’m not mistaken. My rear springs are factory 4x4 with some S10 bits mixed in, and C1500 drop shackles. I hate the look of those shackles, but I needed to compensate for the sag when I was loaded up.

36 minutes ago, Pete M said:

what amount of lift are you at right now?  the factory method for measuring it is in the link in my signature.  :L: 

Currently, my front height is 8.5”

The rear height (with the 8.8 axle) is around 8.75” at the driver’s, and 9.3” at the passenger side. I’ve always had a rear height discrepancy from side to side :dunno: