Jump to content
Big Dan

Cruise Harness Connector Question

Recommended Posts

I looked through the electrical manual and couldn't find it. The circled connector is on the cruise control harness (from an 88 4.0)and connects to the engine harness near where the servo would mount.

 

Can anyone clue me in on to what it operates? d8d2ae4749d991cbcc5f2481d9ac5aee.jpg

 

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The two wire is the clutch cut-off switch.  The harness must have come from a manual trans.  An automatic would have a bridge connector in the plug.

 

The single wire is a ground wire in the engine bay, near the firewall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, 87MJTIM said:

The harness must have come from a manual trans.

 

It did

 

10 minutes ago, 87MJTIM said:

The single wire is a ground wire in the engine bay, near the firewall.

 

I believe that is C317, then.  Awesome.  Thank you for the help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup that’s the ground wire for the later Renix years. Early Renix years use the servo mounting bracket for the ground which is cleaner and better in my opinion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quick question on this same subject.  I have an 87 4.0/automatic which, far as I can see, did not come with factory Cruise Control.  I am planning to add an aftermarket kit (Rostra) and was wondering if all Comanches had to speed sensor and wiring included, even if the cruise option was not ordered??  If so, where in the harness would I fine the blue and gray wires from the speed sensor.

 

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, armcallister said:

Quick question on this same subject.  I have an 87 4.0/automatic which, far as I can see, did not come with factory Cruise Control.  I am planning to add an aftermarket kit (Rostra) and was wondering if all Comanches had to speed sensor and wiring included, even if the cruise option was not ordered??  If so, where in the harness would I fine the blue and gray wires from the speed sensor.

 

Thanks!

no speed sensor on you year, they came in the 91-92

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, armcallister said:

Quick question on this same subject.  I have an 87 4.0/automatic which, far as I can see, did not come with factory Cruise Control.  I am planning to add an aftermarket kit (Rostra) and was wondering if all Comanches had to speed sensor and wiring included, even if the cruise option was not ordered??  If so, where in the harness would I fine the blue and gray wires from the speed sensor.

 

Thanks!

 

2 minutes ago, jdog said:

no speed sensor on you year, they came in the 91-92

There is a speed sensor. The speed sensor is connected in conjunction with the speedo cable. It sends pulses to the yellow regulator box to keep the speed when you press the set button.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

 

There is a speed sensor. The speed sensor is connected in conjunction with the speedo cable. It sends pulses to the yellow regulator box to keep the speed when you press the set button.

 

 

true, if you had cruise

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jdog said:

true, if you had cruise

 

True. I reread what was asked and missed the part where he doesn’t have cruise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The speed sensor and the two sections of cable can be detached from each other; Maveric and I had to do this, to replace the upper part that attaches to the speedo head, and the sensor itself, for which someone had yanked the wires out of. But I'm glad this was posted, because I didn't see a Weatherpak single-wire connector in the harness I pulled. Doesn't mean it isn't there, it just means I'll have to look for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, silvertwinkiehobo said:

But I'm glad this was posted, because I didn't see a Weatherpak single-wire connector in the harness I pulled. Doesn't mean it isn't there, it just means I'll have to look for it.

 

This depends on which year/style harness you pulled. 84-mid 87 had a few different connectors on it than the late 87-90 style.(I really should consider making a cruise control info page)

84-E87(not ethanol) grounded out at the servo to the servo bracket, thus not requiring the engine harness to need a ground for cruise control. Other differences include: round servo plug and early style weatherproof connector for the speed sensor.

 

L87-90 had the weatherpack ground plug, a much smaller pak-con connector for the speed sensor and an 8 prong pak-con connector for the servo. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks to everyone for input on this topic.  I ended up using a magnet/coil pickup that came with the Roku unit.  Just finished the install and will be testing later today.  Will post pictures, eventually, for those who want to add aftermarket type CC.  I have these electronic units on a couple old British sports cars and they work quite well and due not require a vacuum source.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/20/2020 at 10:26 AM, armcallister said:

Thanks to everyone for input on this topic.  I ended up using a magnet/coil pickup that came with the Roku unit.  Just finished the install and will be testing later today.  Will post pictures, eventually, for those who want to add aftermarket type CC.  I have these electronic units on a couple old British sports cars and they work quite well and due not require a vacuum source.

Id love to see a write up on renix with that installed. I have plenty of renix cruise complete setups but have 0 motivation to deal with that ugly mess of a factory setup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Installation of the Rostra unit is actually quite simple.  Since it is totally "electronic" no vacuum tie ins are required.  The system involves just four components:  The electronic unit that controls throttle position and is mounted in the engine bay, the control switch mounted in a convenient location near the steering wheel,  the magnetic pickup mounted next to the drive shaft, and the wiring harness.  If you happen to have the factory VSS sensor in your rig you can tie directly into that and will not need the magnetic pickup at the driveshaft.  It ends up being a very clean install and works quite well, at least so far (only have about 100 miles on it to date).  I mounted the electronic unit directly to the shock tower between the attachment and lock nuts using the included bracket and installed  the control switch to the left of the steering column.  Had to make a little cutout on the relay cover to clear the electronic unit and drill a 5/16" hole in the bracket above the throttle control lever but no other alterations to the vehicle.  Wiring harness was run through an existing hole in the bulkhead.  The Rostra units are readily available and sold by several vendors on eBay.   As stated earlier, I have identical units on two old British sports cars and they have been working great for years.  Just follow the instructions included with the kit and your all set.

electronic_contorl_unit.jpg

Electronic_unit_mount.jpg

Cutout_on_relay_cover.jpg

Throttle_linkage_tie_in.jpg

Bulkhead_penetraton_for_wire_harness.jpg

Magnetic_pickup_coil_at_drive_shaft.jpg

Control_Panel.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...