Cruise Harness Connector Question

I looked through the electrical manual and couldn't find it. The circled connector is on the cruise control harness (from an 88 4.0)and connects to the engine harness near where the servo would mount.

Can anyone clue me in on to what it operates? d8d2ae4749d991cbcc5f2481d9ac5aee.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

The two wire is the clutch cut-off switch.  The harness must have come from a manual trans.  An automatic would have a bridge connector in the plug.

The single wire is a ground wire in the engine bay, near the firewall.

9 minutes ago, 87MJTIM said:

The harness must have come from a manual trans.

It did

10 minutes ago, 87MJTIM said:

The single wire is a ground wire in the engine bay, near the firewall.

I believe that is C317, then.  Awesome.  Thank you for the help.

Quick question on this same subject.  I have an 87 4.0/automatic which, far as I can see, did not come with factory Cruise Control.  I am planning to add an aftermarket kit (Rostra) and was wondering if all Comanches had to speed sensor and wiring included, even if the cruise option was not ordered??  If so, where in the harness would I fine the blue and gray wires from the speed sensor.

Thanks!

34 minutes ago, armcallister said:

Quick question on this same subject.  I have an 87 4.0/automatic which, far as I can see, did not come with factory Cruise Control.  I am planning to add an aftermarket kit (Rostra) and was wondering if all Comanches had to speed sensor and wiring included, even if the cruise option was not ordered??  If so, where in the harness would I fine the blue and gray wires from the speed sensor.

Thanks!

no speed sensor on you year, they came in the 91-92

35 minutes ago, armcallister said:

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, jdog said:

no speed sensor on you year, they came in the 91-92

There is a speed sensor. The speed sensor is connected in conjunction with the speedo cable. It sends pulses to the yellow regulator box to keep the speed when you press the set button.

2 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

There is a speed sensor. The speed sensor is connected in conjunction with the speedo cable. It sends pulses to the yellow regulator box to keep the speed when you press the set button.

true, if you had cruise

The speed sensor and the two sections of cable can be detached from each other; Maveric and I had to do this, to replace the upper part that attaches to the speedo head, and the sensor itself, for which someone had yanked the wires out of. But I'm glad this was posted, because I didn't see a Weatherpak single-wire connector in the harness I pulled. Doesn't mean it isn't there, it just means I'll have to look for it.

22 minutes ago, silvertwinkiehobo said:

But I'm glad this was posted, because I didn't see a Weatherpak single-wire connector in the harness I pulled. Doesn't mean it isn't there, it just means I'll have to look for it.

This depends on which year/style harness you pulled. 84-mid 87 had a few different connectors on it than the late 87-90 style.(I really should consider making a cruise control info page)

84-E87(not ethanol) grounded out at the servo to the servo bracket, thus not requiring the engine harness to need a ground for cruise control. Other differences include: round servo plug and early style weatherproof connector for the speed sensor.

L87-90 had the weatherpack ground plug, a much smaller pak-con connector for the speed sensor and an 8 prong pak-con connector for the servo. 

Thanks to everyone for input on this topic.  I ended up using a magnet/coil pickup that came with the Roku unit.  Just finished the install and will be testing later today.  Will post pictures, eventually, for those who want to add aftermarket type CC.  I have these electronic units on a couple old British sports cars and they work quite well and due not require a vacuum source.

On 7/20/2020 at 10:26 AM, armcallister said:

Thanks to everyone for input on this topic.  I ended up using a magnet/coil pickup that came with the Roku unit.  Just finished the install and will be testing later today.  Will post pictures, eventually, for those who want to add aftermarket type CC.  I have these electronic units on a couple old British sports cars and they work quite well and due not require a vacuum source.

Id love to see a write up on renix with that installed. I have plenty of renix cruise complete setups but have 0 motivation to deal with that ugly mess of a factory setup.

• 2 weeks later...

Installation of the Rostra unit is actually quite simple.  Since it is totally "electronic" no vacuum tie ins are required.  The system involves just four components:  The electronic unit that controls throttle position and is mounted in the engine bay, the control switch mounted in a convenient location near the steering wheel,  the magnetic pickup mounted next to the drive shaft, and the wiring harness.  If you happen to have the factory VSS sensor in your rig you can tie directly into that and will not need the magnetic pickup at the driveshaft.  It ends up being a very clean install and works quite well, at least so far (only have about 100 miles on it to date).  I mounted the electronic unit directly to the shock tower between the attachment and lock nuts using the included bracket and installed  the control switch to the left of the steering column.  Had to make a little cutout on the relay cover to clear the electronic unit and drill a 5/16" hole in the bracket above the throttle control lever but no other alterations to the vehicle.  Wiring harness was run through an existing hole in the bulkhead.  The Rostra units are readily available and sold by several vendors on eBay.   As stated earlier, I have identical units on two old British sports cars and they have been working great for years.  Just follow the instructions included with the kit and your all set.

electronic_contorl_unit.jpg

Electronic_unit_mount.jpg

Cutout_on_relay_cover.jpg

Throttle_linkage_tie_in.jpg

Bulkhead_penetraton_for_wire_harness.jpg

Magnetic_pickup_coil_at_drive_shaft.jpg

Control_Panel.jpg