Random observation

schardein

15 hours ago, silvertwinkiehobo said:

Uh, yeah, but we should consider ourselves lucky that it's there, otherwise, everyone would be bitchin' and moanin' about the noisiness. What do you have going on your column?

I got this column from a member here early in 2019.  Lots of wobble in the tilt, during teardown found two of the screws that secure the tilt mechanism completely backed out and loose inside the column.

On 7/5/2020 at 11:09 AM, schardein said:

it’s a wonder the inside of our trucks doesn’t reek of it.

B4967178-A7E3-4BE0-9864-F5813538029F.jpeg

Maybe they do, and we've all just gotten used to it :laugh:

I have very little sense of smell and go "noseblind" very quickly. I never can tell what my vehicles smell like.

1 hour ago, Minuit said:

Maybe they do, and we've all just gotten used to it :laugh:

I have very little sense of smell and go "noseblind" very quickly. I never can tell what my vehicles smell like.

I'm the same way.  I think ones sense of smell deteriorate as we age.  

I also suspect that "new car smell!" everyone loves is 12% steering column grease :laugh2:

On 7/6/2020 at 10:29 AM, schardein said:

I got this column from a member here early in 2019.  Lots of wobble in the tilt, during teardown found two of the screws that secure the tilt mechanism completely backed out and loose inside the column.

Ah, yeah, got it. A common problem on GM columns, whether tilt or not. In installing the new column in Maveric's rig, it had the shift interlock, and that was interfering with the column inner workings. So I tore it down to remove the interlock, and found all four screws had no torque on them. And BTW, attempting to install the plate those screws attach to, and get the lower trim cone in place, is a damned b*@ch, so if you don't need to remove it, leave it alone. You'll thank yourself.

XJs and MJs do seem to have a distinctive smell. I don’t really notice it in my own other than on a hot day if I left the windows up, but it’s something that I notice in other Jeeps. My ZJ is much more scent-neutral.

My guess is the XJ/MJ "distinctive smell" is a direct result of the many, many leak paths that exist in the cab design, almost all of which will leak right under the carpet and leave no evidence.

I don’t know about that. It could be part of it, but my floors are pretty well ventilated for the most part and spend a good chunk of the year well below freezing. And my long bed that hasn’t had carpet or much of the interior trim in it for going on a year now still reeked of “the smell” in the cab when I checked on it just now. Much stronger in the cab still than under the canopy where the interior is sitting.