Rear Tail Light

CoastChief

If you want a busted one just to see if you think you can reproduce it I will send you the one I pulled off my truck for cost of shipping. Otherwise I will be swapping mine out fairly soon and will have a set of 2 complete ones in fair condition for fairly cheap.

• 2 weeks later...

You mean like this?815783204_Taillights-disassembled-set.jpg.4662dc2e1b34ec2c6cc46880d7d83572.jpg

These are crummy but that's why I took them apart.

MY idea was to try and sort out how to put vertical rows of LED's in the top 2 sections so I could make #24 have sequential taillights that run across and then wrap around the corner with 2 or 3 bars of LED's.

911928033_Taillights-disassembled-lens-01-markedup.jpg.d89c056fe3cd2993a4a2cd11ae792704.jpg

These I've noted have the bosses broken out where the screws mount.  (blue arrows)

And the lens on 1 of them is really "'crazed" if you look at it in the light just right there are thousands of microcracks as the plastic is breaking down from age and exposure. (green circled)

The other lens looks like it got too close to some heat source.

1595000487_Taillights-disassembled-lens-02.jpg.20a077c848e7f23e3e3090a6f3a002ac.jpgMy other idea was to somehow produce a "blank bucket", maybe 3D printed, that fits perfectly into the spot but leave the interior of it blank so to put customized LED lighting in there and then make new translucent red lens' to cover

Of course it would all be totally illegal.  But then....what of that?  The DOT has OK'd all KINDs of crap headlights that blind us stupid at night. 

All so we can have swoopy design that flows nicely in a wind tunnel.

I dunno about you but after 45 years driving I've never ever had to drive in a wind tunnel.

So it kinda doesn't matter too much to me about the DOT.  Some of us live in places tightly controlled, others... not so much.

It would truly cost more to ship these to SoCal than they are worth.  But if you would like them, let me know.

• 4 months later...