Skyjacker or local shops

Anyone have any experience with the newer 6 inch Skyjacker lift kits?

I wish I had the skills to install an Ironman or Iron Rock 4 link system but that's beyond me.  I'm too old and I don't weld.  Too far to have the shops do the work (Minn. & NC).  I'm out here in California.  Any good west coast suggestions?

17 hours ago, ghetdjc320 said:

Do you have a link? Is it made for an MJ or an XJ? Any 6” lift requires a lot of supporting mods

Here's the link.  I was thinking it could be a project for my son and I.  It's looking more like I need a local shop methinks!

https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/skyjacker-6-inch-suspension-lift-kit-with-m95-performance-shocks-jc605rr2ks-m/_/R-BHNG-JC605RR2KS-M

After you working on an MJ our a XJ? That kit is XJ only. What skill level you have is a definite factor in this kind of lift. If you have the time, tools, and place to do it are also large factors.

Ahh ok, that kit will only work for the front of your MJ but the rear leaf springs are not compatible. The Comanche has rear leaf springs that go under the axle but the Cherokee uses them over the axle. You can add about 5+/-“ when you move the mounts from beneath the axle to over the axle on an MJ. This is known as a soa or spring over axle swap. Apologies if you already know this, just trying to be thorough. Most of us try to determine what size tire we would like to run before deciding how much lift to install. It helps you plan your supporting modifications that way like: proper gearing, driveshaft angles, steering modifications, wheel well openings/flares etc. A nice 3-4” lift with the appropriate flares could accommodate a 33” tire without too many supporting modifications. Normally going 35+” tires will require quite a bit more fab work and some skills with the metal glue gun. perhaps consider something in the 2.5-4” lift range. We can help you put together the components you will need so you will have your bases covered. 

@HellCreek is still producing the rear leaf springs for I believe a 4” lift. Custom manufacturers like Alcan are also options. For the front, almost any lift that works for an XJ will work for an MJ. Most on here will say to steer clear of Rustys Offroad. Same goes for Rough Country. 

Another relatively simple option is the heavy duty leaf spring pack from General Spring which will net you about 2” or possibly a bit more depending on what condition your old springs are in. Throw in some front 2.5” lift springs, extended shocks and perhaps lower control arms from a Jeep Grand Cherokee (WJ). Will fit 31” tires decently shouldn’t need almost any supporting mods. If I were building an my over again I would have gone with 2.5” or so lift. Lots of different options. I’m sure other will chime in shorty

15 hours ago, CoastChief said:

Iv been looking at inland Jeeps. They seemed friendly over the phone and have a handful of jeeps in the parking lot.

I'm located in Anaheim, CA

Look out bro!  They have some horrendous reviews on Yelp.

3 hours ago, irieco said:

Look out bro!  They have some horrendous reviews on Yelp.

Oh $#!&, good looking out! 

it’s hard to find good shops here in SoCal. Jeeps R us, and a handful of others I used to drive by. Have reviews of parts being stolen etc. 

On 5/31/2020 at 4:18 PM, ghetdjc320 said:

Another relatively simple option is the heavy duty leaf spring pack from General Spring which will net you about 2” or possibly a bit more depending on what condition your old springs are in. Throw in some front 2.5” lift springs, extended shocks and perhaps lower control arms from a Jeep Grand Cherokee (WJ). Will fit 31” tires decently shouldn’t need almost any supporting mods. If I were building an my over again I would have gone with 2.5” or so lift. Lots of different options. I’m sure other will chime in shorty

That’s what I used on my truck. I ended up getting 3 1/2” over the wire out springs.