not starting

hi,

I have a 87 Comanche 2.5 TBI 4 speed auto. I have replaced the spark plugs , plug wires, cap, rotor and the crank position sensor. The truck cranks over but still will not start. It all started when I was driving ,the truck would shut off (cut out) but keep running untill I parked it and ever since then it will not start. Any info would help me out greatly, thanks.

please help,

Matt

hi,

I have a 87 Comanche 2.5 TBI 4 speed auto. I have replaced the spark plugs , plug wires, cap, rotor and the crank position sensor. The truck cranks over but still will not start. It all started when I was driving ,the truck would shut off (cut out) but keep running untill I parked it and ever since then it will not start. Any info would help me out greatly, thanks.

please help,

Matt

Do you have fuel pressure?

you need three things for the engine to run...spark, fuel, and air. Check these and you will probably find one of them missing. Usually, it isn't the air. You can check the spark by pulling a spark plug wire slightly off of the plug and see if you have spark. If you suspect fuel, you can put a couple of drops in the intake and see if it starts.

There are a couple of ways to diagnose a no-start, these are just suggestions.

Chances are good it's the CPS, but you should probably start at the cap and work backwards with a multimeter to see where the spark electricity stops (if it's starting in the first place). The computer won't fire the sparkplugs unless it's getting a good solid signal from the CPS (it's located on the bellhousing and senses notches on the edge of the flywheel and sends a signal to the comp telling it where the engine is in it's cycle).

my buddy was talkin earlier about his friends YJ they spent hours trying to fix it throwing parts at it, and turns up it was a fuse under the hood that acts like a kill switch. this was an HO 4.0 so i didnt know if our trucks have the same type of fuse?

Matt,

You may also want to check out the ignition coil. You can check the internet for more information, but generally this is how you check it:

Take the coil out of the truck. Check for continuity on the primary and secondary sides of the coil. Do this by taking a ohm meter and putting one lead on the + pin and one lead on the - pin. You may have to unscrew the coil from the base (module). If the tester says infinite resistance, you have an open circuit in the coil and it is bad. If you have zero resistance, you are ok and can move to step two. Step two is a similar procedure, but this time have the one lead on the - pin and one lead on where the spark plug wire connects. Same test here, if zero resistance you are ok.

This is a quick test that you can do that is free. It could be that your crank position sensor is fine, but your coil is bad.

My advice: Check everything you can check before you throw any more parts at it...

• 3 weeks later...

FOR SALE!! It has a jasper remanufactured engine installed in 2000 also installed a new gas tank and sending unit. runs great (if it would start) it has had regular maintenance done on it, including emmissions and I have all the reciepts of all the work done. I hate to get rid of it but it does me no good sitting in the garage. It is a 1987 with a 2.5 4 speed auto 4x4 short bed. looks rough, need body work or new bed.

The engine was installed in 2000 and cost over $2,000.

The gas tank and sending unit was installed in 2003 and cost over $600.

I have all the reciept for everything done.