What are these relays for ?

Because power does not flow through the switch in the stock fog light set-up. The dash switch activates the relay and power flows through the relay to the fog lights. Here is the OEM fog light harness, it plugs into the 10 pin connector by the air box and replaces the non-fog light headlight harness.

fogLightHarness.jpg

10 pin connector.jpg

On 5/28/2020 at 4:43 PM, AMC86Kid said:

Why would the fog lights need relays ? 

I thought the relays would be for high beams 

if your truck hasn't been upgraded yet, there's a link in my sig to a relay harness for your headlights and hibeams. :L: 

45 minutes ago, AMC86Kid said:

But does it say how to wire it ? 

HEADLIGHT HARNESS UPGRADE

Putco relaysHeadlamp harness

It’s easy to install a supplemental headlight harness.

From the factory, the voltage to the headlight bulbs travels from the battery, through connectors, inside the cabin, to the headlamp switch, and then back out to the lamps via undersized wire and more connectors. It’s not uncommon to find only 10.5 volts at the lamps.

The supplemental harness is installed so that it provides battery voltage to the lamps and is just triggered by the factory wiring. The result is about 35% brighter headlamps and headlight switches that don’t melt and burn out.

Here’s a link to a harness on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/CERAMIC-H4-HEADLIGHT-RELAY-WIRING-HARNESS-2-HEADLAMP-LIGHT-BULB-SOCKET-PLUGS-7-/330997592807

Absolutely plug and play:

• Remove grille and headlamp bulbs. I fed my harnesses from the passenger side starting between the battery and the back of the headlamp housing, over to the driver side.
  • Plug the driver side bulb into the new harness.
  • Attach the new harness’s ground wire under one of the small bolts on the radiator support after scraping the paint off under it.
  • Attach the harness to the existing harness behind the grille working toward the passenger side.
  • Plug the new harness plug into passenger headlamp.
  • Plug original headlamp plug into receptacle on new harness.
  • Attach the ground for the passenger side just like you did the driver side under a radiator support bolt.
  • Attach relays with provided bracket on the passenger side inner fender.
  • Connect power wires to battery.

Look up a Chrysler fifth ave horn relay around 1987, it’s the same relay Jeep uses, or very similar

I grabbed one of those relays when I was trying to fix the horn in my xj, the problem actually was the button in steering wheel

The fifth ave wiring and circuit should be easier to find than the Jeep , it even looks like somebody sell a replacement relay connector sold, autozone Duralast Sunroof Relay Connector 220.

Looks like 2 should go to the switch following the Circuit diagram for Chrysler, while not owned by Chrysler yet in 84-86 models amc sourced from common suppliers other manufactures used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro