1JTMP6310HT189651

87MJJeep

1987, Jeep Comanche SporTruck.

Images coming soon (see avatar for small oldie)

4.0L / Auto (AW4?) / CommandTrac / Front axle? / Rear axle? / Short wheelbase

Build date: (don't have access to it right this instant)

Current Location: West TN

Status: Purchased from someone daily driving it in 2007.  I am 4th/5th owner.  Getting repainted currently.

Notes:  Grenadine exterior color, burgundy interior, bench seat cloth, column shift.

build : June 25, 1987

body jl61

*A6-Vinyl Trimmed Bucket Seats

-H9-DESCRIPTION NOT AVAILABLE

APA-Monotone Paint

BCQ-750 Amp Maintenance Free Battery

CBA-Straight Back Bench Seat

CGX-RR Head Restraints Outboard Seating

DGW-4-Spd. Automatic 4RE Transmission

ERB-4.0L I6 Engine

GAC-Tinted Glass Windows

GEC-Front Left Side Sliding Window

GFD-Rear Sliding Window

HAA-Air Conditioning

HCC-Do Not Use - See HCA

JJA-Cigar Lighter

LMA-Halogen Headlamps

MBJ-Black Front Bumper

MDA-Front License Plate Bracket

NAA-Federal Emissions

PYC-Amp'd

QYC-Amp'd

SBA-Power Steering

TBG-Compact Spare Tire

TBL-Inside Mounted Spare Tire

WMC-Open

3LR-DESCRIPTION NOT AVAILABLE 

22 minutes ago, 87MJJeep said:

Thank you!

waaaaay more codes exist, those are just the ones that remain in the Chrysler computers.  problem is you need the paper build sheet that came with your truck to know them all. :( 

23 minutes ago, Pete M said:

waaaaay more codes exist, those are just the ones that remain in the Chrysler computers.  problem is you need the paper build sheet that came with your truck to know them all. :( 

Gotcha.  What are the common locations to find a build sheet?  I have had the carpet out twice (thanks to you warning of leaks) and have the door panels off for the same reason.  That was years ago.  I don't recall seeing any build sheets then.  I would have known what it was when I saw it and stared at it in awe.  

• 2 months later...

This was "Morelli" the day I brought him home.  9/10/2007.  Hard to believe it's nearly been 13 yrs.  Owner #1 was elderly man whose son bought it for him (son was a doctor).  Son had it for some unknown period of time after his father passed away.  3rd owner is 2nd generation owner of well-known auto repair shop.  4th owner lived in neighborhood behind the auto shop and stopped one day asking if it was for sale.  It was not.  Guy needed a truck to haul his audio equipment to gigs.  He wouldn't take no for an answer.  He got it.  Owner #3 said, "I'll buy it back if you ever want to sell it."  4th owner didn't do that.  He listed it on Craiglist, and my intern coworker who scoured CL for 70s Cherokees and 80s Grand Wagoneers saw it and told me about it.  Two days later it was mine!  

That day or the following day, I found my mom's handwriting in the owner's manual.  She had sold it when it was new (back then the sales person filled out the new owner's details in the owner's manual).  It' was then named after another salesman that was like a big brother to me the years they worked together.  He had a blue Comanche back then.  I spent 3-4 nights a week at the dealership hanging out with the sales team.  The sales manager would hand me a $10 bill, and I'd go make sure every unit on the lot was locked.  Fun times for a 14-15 yr old that loved cars!  

71K miles, and other than one small tear in the vinyl on the bench seat, the interior was flawless.  It had a ton of dings where 3rd owner used it as a "farm truck."  He must have thrown a lot of stuff in the bed and missed.  Grrrr.  SporTruck decals on driver side were much worse -faded, cracked, than passenger side.  There was a noticeable dent under the passenger side "SporTruck" and a nearly as bad dent on the driver's door that the decal had hidden.  I just lived with them.  

IMG_2828.jpg

IMG_2829.jpg

IMG_2834.jpg

IMG_2848.jpg

In the first month I owned it, I got in touch with the 3rd owner.  I swapped dead even giving him the winch bumper for the original bumper he still had.  He gave me $10 or $20 per tire for the mudder tires I had no need for.  With regular tires and the OEM bumper, it looked just right for me!  The winch bumper had been welded to the frame.  I used a Dremel and grinder to carefully cut the welds off to preserve the frame mounting points for the stock bumper.  I recall working on it a little bit each night after work.  

In August 2010 I learned how to wetsand..  It didn't make the paint perfect, but it made a huge difference. 

Prior to this, I had bought a 3M Stripe Off wheel.  It made getting the SporTruck decals off a breeze.  IIRC, I bought a cheapo drill at Harbor Freight since my old drill didn't run at the 3M recommended RPM.  

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/3M-Stripe-Off-Wheel/?N=5002385+3293162209&rt=rud

IMG_7949rs2.jpg

after1.jpg

It then sat in a driveway and slowly faded and the paint just got thinner and thinner.  The roof started rusting, and the hood was not far behind.  In 2019, I managed to squeeze it into my shop that had always only held one car.  At least it was out of the weather when not driven.  Then in March 2020 I had to move it back outside, and the rust was bothering me.  I asked a friend to quote repainting the tops and feathering clear down the sides.  I then asked, "And what if you paint the whole truck?"  The price was right, so it was repainted.  First guy assigned to it had put a few runs in the paint, and it was wetsanded/buff way too soon.  It was covered with swirl marks.  First guy was fired for attitude issues, and the next guy said he was repainting it.  He already had painted the spare tailgate and said whole truck needed to be repainted to match his level of quality put on the tailgate.  As shown below, is how it looked when I got it back after the 2nd painter did his thing.  Zero buffing.  It's straight off the paint gun, and it will be buffed in a month. 

Meanwhile, I have painted the fender flares with Krylon Fusion Satin Black and the same on the bumper guards.  Bumper is flat black.  I didn't remove rear bumper before taking it to the shop, so I need to pull it and sand/paint it to match the front bumper. 

I have a line on a set of Cherokee Sport 10-hole wheels, so soon it will be kinda close to the Eliminator look I drooled over as a teen.    

I'll add more photos once I have the new foglights and 10-hole wheels on.   

For grins and giggles, here is a shot from 9/2009 of it with its 93 ZJ and 04 WJ brothers.  I said the ZJ looked spiffy with the 10-spokes!  I wasn't lying!  

20200415_144137.jpg

20200731_175238rs.jpg

tresjeeps.jpg

• 5 months later...