stock bottle jack = crap

Everyone do yourselves a fovor! If you havent allready throw out your crappy stock bottle jack as either mine is broken and won't fully extend or they are poorly designed. I found out the hard way on the side of the interstate on sunday. I now have an adequate scissor jack and the stock one is in the dumpster! The guys at the tire shop didnt take the tailgate off when they put my spare back and scratched the paint and bent the tag. :chillin: <<

Everyone do yourselves a fovor! If you havent allready throw out your crappy stock bottle jack as either mine is broken and won't fully extend or they are poorly designed. I found out the hard way on the side of the interstate on sunday. I now have an adequate scissor jack and the stock one is in the dumpster! The guys at the tire shop didnt take the tailgate off when they put my spare back and scratched the paint and bent the tag. :chillin: <<

Yeah, they are useless for what they were made for -jacking- but I find other uses for it all the time. Pushing and Shoving: Like moving the axle back into place when changing LCAs, etc. Spreading: Used it today installing a new trailer hitch. The mounting arms were a bit too close to clear the bumper brackets and the bottle jack w. a 4x4 opened it right up. I'll keep mine, but not for jacking. :D

:dunno: i can't use mine on the XJ, but my stock bottle jack is the fastest way to get my jeep off the ground, and seems way safer than the hi-lift. considering the fact that the hilift has now dropped the XJ twice :dunno:

use mine all the time. jamminz.gif

I never had a stock one that worked. They always just seemed weird and didn't do anything.

Maybe I was doing something wrong.

I carry a bottle jack instead, one of those slightly expensive ones. But not in the MJ. Well, I should but I don't. I always just use the hi-lift. And yes, I've dropped my truck with it more times than I can count.

I've used mine twice on my Toyota. Once while high centered on the case weld of my Magnaflow, so I went under the frame and another rock. The second time with my front leaf spring stuck on a large rock (have no idea how I got it up there) and I jacked up the bumper.

They work well in tight spots.

weird. i can't think of a time mine hasn't worked... in fact, we have 4 of them that all work :nuts: one from a 84 grand waggy, two from XJs and one frm my truck :D

but i lied the fastest way to get a tire off the ground is the lift at school... followed shortly by floorjacks at home :brows:

Those of you who have dropped a rig off the hi-lift, what was it that slipped? The jack off the rig? The jack base on the ground? or did the rig move on you?

I've had it happen twice.

it seems that both times the rig simply shifted while we were jacking it up or down, and slipped off the hi lift.

I'll never crawl under a rig supported by a hi lift, I always carry some jackstands in the rig.

I strap the hi-lift to my rig with a ratchet strap, anyone else try that?

I do that- When I'm not going to drive off the jack as part of the recovery. In my work (Game Warden) truck I use the high lift often. The only thing worse that getting stuck is having to get on the radio and let the whole world know about it. I use the jack to winch myself out as much as jack up. The older models have chain hooks that make them a bit more useful.

I agree about the stock mechanical bottle jacks. I keep a Harbor Freight hydraulic and a couple boards under the seat too.