Brazing?

I did this a bit once... It's an amusing process. I really thought it had no practical application other than fixing brass things, or if you didn't know how to weld.

But apparently it is actually strong? Despite not having any 'fusion' of the materials you can actually get a good enough bond with it that it'll produce a joint that is at least as strong as the materials to be joined?

Does anybody actually braze anything structeral?

I always thought Brazing was a "filler" type of welding, like filling in a crack on cast iron, I would think it would have strenght to the material. Have to think back 30+ years when I learned welding :hmm:

Only application I've seen on the job was in hospital jobs, the plumbers' "braze" all of the pipe fittings, instead of solder.

I think the old body men use to braze in pach panels, but the mig welder replace all of that type work.

The mig has killed brazing for the most part but there are still some areas that are brazed - if you have brass radiator the tanks and hose connections are brazed and some body men still use it to fill small pin holes where the mig might distort the metal to much. All in all the gas torch is relagated to its best function now - cutting and heating if you heat cast iron hot enough you can actually use the mig or arc welder to fix the cracks with steel instead of filling with brass.

Does anybody actually braze anything structeral?

Look at any older Schwinn bike made in the US, especially the main joint where the headstock is joined to the top tube and the down tube. Those nice looking joints are brazing that's been ground smooth and polished.

Along those same lines, it's used for smoothing welded joints or surfaces where the surface must be all metal, as powdercoating doesn't stick to Bondo. It can also be used for some dis-similar metal joining if a lot of strength isn't required.

It's all in the flux if you're not working with a copper based alloy. I've even got it to stick to "Hondalloy", that gray mystery metal that motorcycles used to have a lot of.

At work (refrigeration and A/C installation) 90% of all the piping are brazed. And because i have all that brazing stuff in the work-van all the time (and my welding skills are pretty bad), brazing is very often the solution when i need to attach one piece of metal to another. Brazed a couple of things in the jeep as well :D

i do a fair amount of brazing at work , some times because of what I'm working on is better suited for it or just to wast time . but regardles i try to braze as often as i can ( and stick weld ) because it is becoming a bit of a lost art , i know it is still used in some industrial applications but many people don't want to wast the time learning something that may take longer than if they just used a mig even if it produced the same results and some times better. iv even used coat hangers and bailing wire as welding rod and had good success with it (nothing structural mind u)and about 6 months ago i got a chance to do some alumaweld and it worked better than i expected , i can't tell u how it works exactly but it works . idont think i would recomend it for realy thin aluminum though i have yet to master the skill.

So, nobody brazes anything structeral? I've seen something that was aluminum brazed back together once. However, I don't think it was legal (aircraft part, pretty sure it was approved)

Apparently brazing is how you're supposed to attach a nut to the back of something if you don't want it to decrease the strength of the nut...

Okay, if nobody understands the above sentence, fair enough.

Apparently brazing is how you're supposed to attach a nut to the back of something if you don't want it to decrease the strength of the nut...

if you're talkin about like, holding a nut onto the frame so you can put a bolt through the other side (kinda like a nutsert) then i get what you're talkin' about.

if you're talkin about like, holding a nut onto the frame so you can put a bolt through the other side (kinda like a nutsert) then i get what you're talkin' about.

Yeah. It's apparently the only 'right' way to do that. As you won't alter the properties of the nut.