Starting up my thread for my Comanche build. As it sits today, its a 1992, 4.0L, 5Sp, 2wd, SWB, Dana 35 that runs and drives fine with a few small issues. Overall, looking to make it go anywhere and be able to daily drive if needed. Currently, its being used off and on for quick rides/errands.

History:

Bought it from @kryptronic last fall

Installed 2 new tires, changed oiled and trans fluid to get ready for inspection

Passed PA inspection with the addition of license plate lights (the only one i didnt check)

Picked up a 99 Donor with a blown engine for the start of the 97+ swap (4wd, 5sp, dana 30 and dana 35)

Fixed a power steering leak

Bought a (supposedly) XJ Dana 44 rear axle with what the seller thinks were 4.56 gears and no mounts for $100

Sold to a jeep aficionado here just south of Pittsburgh.  

Current Issues:

Damp Floorboard (need to investigate more)

Some weather stripping is rough

Multiple Dents/Dings (especially in the bed)

Windows are rough to roll down

Plans:

97+ Conversion (interior and exterior)

Onboard Air

Air lockers possible axle shaft upgrades

Determine gearing (will depend on lift/axles)

SOA Rear

Front lift (3 Link, 4 Link?)

Steering Upgrades

Bumpers, rock sliders, bed rack, bed sliders?

Lighting upgrade (LED or halogen, adding fogs)

Tires/Wheels

Paint/body panel fix

Frame stiffeners?

Engine Rebuild/Stroker/LS Swap TBD

Pic Dump (a few from the day i brought it home and of the parts jeep):

20200418_181954.jpg

20200418_182002.jpg

20191102_131235.jpg

20191102_145345.jpg

20191110_124813.jpg

20191110_124825.jpg

20200418_181913.jpg

20200418_181926.jpg

20200418_182015.jpg

20200418_182021.jpg

27 minutes ago, krustyballer16 said:

O i bet that was fun backing your jt with the dolley into Nick's driveway! Ha.

I can help you with the rock sliders and bed sliders! And bumper possibly too.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

That actually went much easier than expected, and 1000x easier than getting the cherokee loaded. The front tires on it were completely flat and held 0 air, so we figured that slowly backing the dolly under would be our best bet. the truck got about 2/3rds of the way up the ramp before the trailer came off the hitch and punctured the tailgate. Luckily Uhaul covered the damage, but still a pain to deal with

20191218_090639.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Was mowing the lawn yesterday and noticed a small puddle under the comanche, looks like I'm leaking coolant near the passenger headlight. I'm hoping its a loose fitting/bad hose, otherwise I'll need to replace the radiator or start the full teardown (which i planning on starting after i got the cherokee torn apart).

22 minutes ago, hedbutter said:

Was mowing the lawn yesterday and noticed a small puddle under the comanche, looks like I'm leaking coolant near the passenger headlight. I'm hoping its a loose fitting/bad hose, otherwise I'll need to replace the radiator or start the full teardown (which i planning on starting after i got the cherokee torn apart).

There is also a drain plug on the radiator on the bottom passenger side. You can get to it through the front of the wheel well. I had that leak on mine. 

• 1 month later...

Well, the project budget took a hit today. Managed to get two flats in the gladiator with my multiple trips to Lowes and Home Depot while building a deck, so decided to upgrade when replacing those tires. Hoping to look into the raidiator leak next week. (it hasnt been bad, but definitely needs to be looked at soon)

20200611_165409.jpg

On 5/11/2020 at 9:42 AM, 89 MJ said:

There is also a drain plug on the radiator on the bottom passenger side. You can get to it through the front of the wheel well. I had that leak on mine. 

Thanks for this tip! Took a quick look while i was outside yesterday and was able to tighten this down and stop the leak. Got the system burped and its ready to go again.