need some slip for my yoke :(

Finally hung the D44 under the MJ today. Put it in SUA for now, to run it around a few hunderdt miles to break the gears and bearings in (then I'll SOA it). Good news is it went in well, and runs nice and smooth. Powertrax is virtually invisible, so long as I don't hit the gas around a sharp turn :D Bad news is that the D44 pinion is exactly 1" longer than the D35 pinion......I've only got about 3/8" travel in the slip yoke. Once I SOA it, the driveshaft (stock, 47") will be perfect, but for now it's not so good.

I've got a spare shaft (thanks Nate!) I'm gonna take up to a shop tomorrow and have cut down.

Jeff

D44 under, finally jamminz.gif

Image Not Found

not so good.... :oops:

Image Not Found

Smooth as a smacked baby's @$$, I'm quite surpised actually.

For search purposes, a SWB MJ with a 2.5/AX5 and D44 requires a 46" driveshaft....

When Pat welded on the SOA perches, we set them to the same angle. Hopefully it'll be just as smooth when the springs are on top. If not, I can add shims.

When Pat welded on the SOA perches, we set them to the same angle. Hopefully it'll be just as smooth when the springs are on top. If not, I can add shims.

That is not likely to work. Every SOA that I have done, even with a CV shaft, needed to have the pinion rotated up anywhere from 2-4 degrees. You will probably have to re-position them or use shims.

You should probably pick-up a YJ yoke so the shaft doesn't bind when drooped. Either that or grind your stock yoke for extra clearance.

The YJ yoke is slightly longer and your shaft has enough slip for it to work without binding. Right now IMO it's about 1/2" out too far.

You should probably pick-up a YJ yoke so the shaft doesn't bind when drooped. Either that or grind your stock yoke for extra clearance.

The YJ yoke is slightly longer and your shaft has enough slip for it to work without binding. Right now IMO it's about 1/2" out too far.

I have a YJ yoke (somewhere) I thought about putting on, but that yoke is riding at the same distance it used to before I got it (judging by the wear mark on it). I'm only running this setup on the road now to break the new gears in.

While we're on the subject, I've got a Dana 44 swapped into my 90 and the driveshaft is also a bit too long now. I've got a 4.0L/AX-15 combo so in theory, I should be able to find a 4.0L/AW-4 driveshaft and it should be perfect due to the AW-4 being about an inch longer than the AX-15, yes?

That sounds plausible. Maybe someone on here is running that combo and can measure for ya....

*side note* had my first experience with the new locker in the rain this morning on the way to work......that was interesting ;)