Window trim paint removal

To do it well, remove the trim from the door. That involves disassembling most of the door to include the glass. It looks like your outside scraper seal could use replacement, you'll know if they are cracked and hard. Since you will have the triangle window out, it is worthwhile to replace the window seal on it when out (called a glass division bar) if it is cracked, broken, and hard. OEM type replacement of that will run around $45 each, but you can find rubber window weather channel in the junkyard that will work fine. Recommend to check imports for size that will work.

The black coating on the trim seams to be some type of rubberized coating.

What has worked for me when the trim is out: 

1. Heat gun with a stiff putty knife first.

2. Sand with 80-120 grit emery cloth using sander to remove residue.

3. Sand with 120 grit by hand along the length in a straight line to remove the scoring from the previous sanding.

4. Run some steel wool down the length as a final step.

Remove the plastic end caps on the lower trim piece before working that one....obviously.

The trim is aluminum, so leaving is bare is okay.

Again, best to do this in conjunction with other work on the door.

How they look stripped on my door....

20181118_103328.jpg

22 hours ago, 70barracuda said:

Thanks for the tips. Does anyone know where to get the gasket that rides along the glass?  The bottom one that's right up on it

Got replacements for my Cherokee from Morris 4X4.

On 2/29/2020 at 3:47 PM, ghetdjc320 said:

Just did mine. After removal I used a propane torch on the back side of the trim and the vinyl wrap came right off. A bit of wire wheel and some paint and they look like new

worked like a charm, stuff fell right off.  10 minutes with a polisher and they look great.  thanks!

3 hours ago, 70barracuda said:

worked like a charm, stuff fell right off.  10 minutes with a polisher and they look great.  thanks!

No problem. I did discover that on XJs at some point in time between 91-96 they used a much less resistant aluminum trim material. You can actually damage it quite easily with the torch. The oem trim on the MJs and early XJs though is much more resistant