Warm, Rich, Stumble and Die

This issue just started a few days ago. After the truck has been running awhile, and shut it off, if you turn it back on it will run incredibly rich, stumble and then die. BUT, after 10 seconds of that, giving a bit of gas, it runs perfectly smooth and fine. Truck details in my signature, and NO major changes or mods lately to have caused it. I thought at first it was vapor lock, so I got a heat shield kit for it. Also checked the fuel rail valve for liquid gas when the problem would happen. It's not vapor lock. All sensors are brand new due to the obd1 conversion I did over a year ago. Ran great until a few days ago. Ideas? Thanks. 

The heat shield I installed:

WqPGp0O.jpg

Checked injectors, no leaks I can see or smell. Pressure at rail is correct, about 40 psi with the engine off. I'd think it wouldn't correct itself if it were leaking or low pressure, fuel delivery is good. As for the CPS, I've had no crank conditions on a heat soaked CPS, back when it was RENIX. It would just crank and crank, until it cooled enough to actually start. This starts every time, and with slight pressure on the gas pedal, stays on. Then after about 10 seconds, you can release the skinny pedal and it runs perfectly.

so..

-runs fine for 10 mins

- next start goes too rich and floods

- 10 seconds later starts normally

what happens if you try the ´flood clear´ method? have you checked if the IAC opens properly? this one likes to stick leaving only fuel and no air in the manifold...

12 hours ago, omega_rugal said:

so..

-runs fine for 10 mins

- next start goes too rich and floods

- 10 seconds later starts normally

what happens if you try the ´flood clear´ method? have you checked if the IAC opens properly? this one likes to stick leaving only fuel and no air in the manifold...

Not exactly. Like this:

-starts and runs fine from cold, no matter how long you run it.

-next start when hot, is too rich and stumbles, but give it some gas and in 10 seconds it corrects itself and runs fine

I'm unfamiliar with the "flood clear" method, what do I do? Didn't think a fuel injection system could flood like that 

4 hours ago, omega_rugal said:

to clear a flooded 4.0 you crank it while presssing the accelerator all the way down, this shuts down the injectors and allows more air to wash away the extra gasoline

I didn't know this, thanks. Next time it gives me issues, I'll try this and see if it alleviates it.

Three (3) things hold fuel rail pressure. Check ball at the fuel pump. Leak here doesn't fit the symptom. Fuel Pressure Regulator (FPR), check for fuel in the vacuum hose between FPR and intake manifold. That leaves leaky injector(s).

37 minutes ago, Ωhm said:

Three (3) things hold fuel rail pressure. Check ball at the fuel pump. Leak here doesn't fit the symptom. Fuel Pressure Regulator (FPR), check for fuel in the vacuum hose between FPR and intake manifold. That leaves leaky injector(s).

FPR vacuum line is dry, nor does it smell like fuel. I pulled the rail with injectors attached, turned fuel pump on, and none are leaking at all. 

2 hours ago, Ωhm said:

Man, it just sounds like excess of fuel, leaking between STARTS.

Yeah, your right. Or an injector is held open during start. I ran a 9 volt through each injector while the rail was off to make sure it sprayed and didn't get stuck, and still worked perfectly. It's a rough start, too, vibrates like hell. Then it just magically fixes itself, haha.