Won’t stop running/battery always powering system

On 1/14/2020 at 9:15 PM, Ωhm said:

Remove both battery cables. Remove all Fuse Links from the starter relay and separate each one. Take continuity between each Link and D2_4. Let's see if we can determine which Link is shorted to Ign Sw feed (I1).

This is the only fuse link that is reading resistance. It was 2 green fuse links in one ring connector but I split them. This one splits to 3 solid red wires. Also, all other posts on the starter relay read resistance as well. It’s 18degrees our today. Fml

D38E0447-3CBA-48BC-A995-D12136D5E702.jpeg

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 hours ago, Ωhm said:

Good call on splitting the Links. Remove the fuses shown in the photo. I doubt you have power door locks. Do you still have continuity? Do you have foglamps?

157203360_FusibleLinkH.jpg.a6413ca8b8058c39138b797341b4c029.jpg

Removed all fuse links from starter relay. Tested continuity between d2-4 and problem fuse link. With fuses removed, no change(car not running). Fog lights remain on when fuse is pulled(car running)

1 minute ago, High2by said:

I think that wire feeds an under the hood light but not sure where it originates from.

I think my under hood light was ripped out at some point. Would be a blessing if it was still there. It seemed to have originated at the green fuse link that has been problematic. It is possible that this is incorrect as I had a helper with me at the time. 

A few months ago, maybe longer, someone asked about that connector. I looked up and down in the schematic and couldn't find it anywhere. Maybe someone knows, if so, can you put a connector number or explanation on it.

FB2321DD-05C9-42B1-91D9-427D7428E6CB.jpeg

A few months ago, maybe longer, someone asked about that connector. I looked up and down in the schematic and couldn't find it anywhere. Maybe someone knows, if so, can you put a connector number or explanation on it.
FB2321DD-05C9-42B1-91D9-427D7428E6CB.jpeg.e74d3e043409b15e06c6769766390aeb.jpeg

I had asked about it before and figured out that the solid red wire fed the under hood light but no idea what the red/white stripe wire was for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, High2by said:

I had asked about it before and figured out that the solid red wire fed the under hood light but no idea what the red/white stripe wire was for.

Thanks for the follow-up. RED/WHT???????

What we got, IGN SW (I1) YEL shorted to B+ Hot at all times Fuse Links. Separated Fuse Links and found one with continuity between the two (2) circuits. But this Fuse Link (GRN) has three (3) RED's coming off it and we believe it to be Fuse_Link_H (FL_H). FL_H feeds Engine Compartment Lamp (Engine Harness), Fog Lamp Relay (Engine Harness and Front Lighting Harness)and a busbar on the Fuse Box (Engine Harness and IP Harness).

See if you can inspect RED wire for Engine Compartment Lamp for short to YEL. If you can trace the whole thing and prove it good, no need to cut it.

Disconnect Front Light Harness (C102). Check if you still have continuity between D2_4 and suspect FL_H.

771985177_C102FrontLighting.jpg.cc231243dd9950d41be15b46abbcc45c.jpg

2015104166_C102FrontLightingView.jpg.eb244091ada9f96e6916c0c1ab10b6aa.jpg

If continuity still exist, can you trace and inspect RED/YEL from suspect FL_H to C102 for RED/YEL short, otherwise, we can eliminate the IP Harness to help determine next steps.

On 1/21/2020 at 9:53 AM, High2by said:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Solid red wire from this connector goes into IGN coil. Red/white goes behind RH headlight through the loom. With this connector DC’d, no problem. With IGN coil unplugged, no problem. On the ICM, multi wire connector unplugged, no problem, singlular yellow wire connector unplugged, problem persists. Is it possible the short from yellow to red exista in the coil? I replaced this early  on in the summer

This solid red wire is coming from suspect fuse link, running into the connector, and from the other side running straight into the ign coil. The plug in the middle of the pos and neg terminals that rest into the clips on the top side of the ICM. 

1E81DF3C-9F49-4626-A925-D0D92509E17A.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Ωhm said:

I wonder if that's the Engine Compartment Lamp connector. Regardless of what it is, get it out of there. Dose problem still exist?

2103003994_C330UnderhoodLamp.jpg.4656fa54f9497108f33aeb9e31680a71.jpg

Motherf***** . It’s 100% the lamp connector. No clue as to when it was plugged into the coil or by whom. I just took it as if it were supposed to be there. JC I feel like an idiot

HAHAHAHAHA. That was one of the first things I ever tested on my truck and wondered what it was for and I plugged it into the coil and it powered everything. That's funny.

Glad it was that easy. But at least its not anything incredibly screwed up to where wiring has to be replaced.