Speedo issues... again.

My stupid electronic speedo in the 91 keeps going out. Every now and then when I start it up and take off it won't work till I hit a bump. I know where the gear is and how to fix it if the railroad trick stops working, but does this sound like I need to get a new gear setup for it or is there some trick so that gear stops jumping off track?

Thanks,

Alex

My gear does the same thing, and to fix it I have to remove the gear and housing and reinstall. I do this about once a year, I have been told if I order a new housing and the appropriate gear it will stop jumping off track. :cry: I have the 34 tooth and need the 33 according go-jeeps site.

My stupid electronic speedo in the 91 keeps going out. Every now and then when I start it up and take off it won't work till I hit a bump. I know where the gear is and how to fix it if the railroad trick stops working, but does this sound like I need to get a new gear setup for it or is there some trick so that gear stops jumping off track?

Thanks,

Alex

I have a two new speedo gears, a 36 (red) and a 37 (white) tooth long shaft if you're interested Alex.

Is the housing rotated to the proper spot? There are little numbers cast into the housing and it rotates to fit various gear tooth-counts.

Mine is pretty rusty but it looks like it says -34 so it should work, I am looking at how much a new housing will cost but I I am not hopefull it will be cheap.

Pete,

That is exactly what happens to mine it (the speedo dealie) "jumps" off of the proper setting.

I don't think it can jump off the proper setting. The quill is held in the transfer case by a retainer bracket. It's such a tight fit that I can't imagine how it could rotate.

Are you sure you're talking about what Pete's talking about?

Pete,

That is exactly what happens to mine it (the speedo dealie) "jumps" off of the proper setting.

I don't think it can jump off the proper setting. The quill is held in the transfer case by a retainer bracket. It's such a tight fit that I can't imagine how it could rotate.

Are you sure you're talking about what Pete's talking about?

I think we are talking about the same thing, I am talking about per the 1991 parts manual is the speed sensor and secondly the speed gear. The speed sensor has numbers that seem to depict the appropriate tooth count of the speed gear. As rusted as my speed sensor is I can makeout the -34 my gear (although 1 tooth off fo 3.73 and 31's) is 34

This is the part where I probably screwed up on. There is an area on the output housing that the numbers of the speed sensor are supposed to align with and then the retainer clip is fitted. If I do not have this aligned correctly then it might explain why my sensor rotates and the speedo stops working after several months. I just bought a new sensor so I can read the numbers and the 33 tooth speed gear, I hope to God this fixes the problem.

I appreciate the big guns help on this one.

:cheers:

This is the part where I probably screwed up on. There is an area on the output housing that the numbers of the speed sensor are supposed to align with and then the retainer clip is fitted. If I do not have this aligned correctly then it might explain why my sensor rotates and the speedo stops working after several months. I just bought a new sensor so I can read the numbers and the 33 tooth speed gear, I hope to God this fixes the problem.

I think I see the problem.

The speed sensor itself mounts into a housing, the piece I refer to as the quill. (The 2000 FSM refers to this as the "speedometer adapter.") The sensor is held in the quill by a bolt and can only fit one way. Then the quill mounts into the transfer case and is held in place by a forked retainer. For the vehicles with mechanical speedo, It is the quill that has the markings for tooth count; for the electronic speedos, the speed sensor has RANGES of tooth counts marked: 32-38, 39-45, etc. You are supposed to install the housing so the range that includes your speedo gear is at 6:00 o'clock, then install the locking clamp so the bent tips LOCK in the nearest slots in the housing (adapter). Installed correctly, the speed sensor cannot rotate in the adapter because it's bolted, and the adapter can't rotate in the transfer case because the tips of the clamp arms are engaged in the slots of the adapter to lock it in position.

If you are trying to position it because you think it needs to line up exactly on a tooth number, you're probably not locking it in one of the three correct positions and it's not staying in place because it's not being retained by the retainer.

I think I see the problem.

The speed sensor itself mounts into a housing, the piece I refer to as the quill. (The 2000 FSM refers to this as the "speedometer adapter.") The sensor is held in the quill by a bolt and can only fit one way. Then the quill mounts into the transfer case and is held in place by a forked retainer. For the vehicles with mechanical speedo, It is the quill that has the markings for tooth count; for the electronic speedos, the speed sensor has RANGES of tooth counts marked: 32-38, 39-45, etc. You are supposed to install the housing so the range that includes your speedo gear is at 6:00 o'clock, then install the locking clamp so the bent tips LOCK in the nearest slots in the housing (adapter). Installed correctly, the speed sensor cannot rotate in the adapter because it's bolted, and the adapter can't rotate in the transfer case because the tips of the clamp arms are engaged in the slots of the adapter to lock it in position.

If you are trying to position it because you think it needs to line up exactly on a tooth number, you're probably not locking it in one of the three correct positions and it's not staying in place because it's not being retained by the retainer.

Argh that is the problem it looks like mine isn't lined up ,and the metal fork at 9 O'clock isn't in all the way.

Thanks that settles my issue

:bowdown: