NV3550 Swap

Currently thinking about doing a transmission swap. I found someone on Facebook selling a nv3550 with a np231 transfer case for $300 obo. Comes with everything but clutch related stuff. I wanted to hear thoughts and tips from people who done this swap or have own one with this swap. So far from what i can find its similar overall to an ax15. My backup plan if i open the case up to inspect and the transmission is bad, I will use it as a core on an ax15. Also do i have to modify the transmission tunnel or the center full size console?

My understanding is the two are interchangeable, although I've never done the swap, just debated using it in my MJ. The NV3550 has a lower first gear, but the rest are slightly taller (except 4th, both 1:1). I imagine you'd have to reclock the tcase or smash the floor or something to use a TJ version, same as the TJ and YJ ax15, unless you can find one out of an '01 XJ.

4 minutes ago, gogmorgo said:

My understanding is the two are interchangeable, although I've never done the swap, just debated using it in my MJ. The NV3550 has a lower first gear, but the rest are slightly taller (except 4th, both 1:1). I imagine you'd have to reclock the tcase or smash the floor or something to use a TJ version, same as the TJ and YJ ax15, unless you can find one out of an '01 XJ.

I waiting on the guy to respond back about a few questions about how he did the conversion because he had this setup in his Comanche.  According to the guy it came out of a 2002 tj. Been researching the internet about tj->Mj and haven't have much luck on confirming that. 

6 minutes ago, ghetdjc320 said:

That's an awesome deal if the tranny is in good shape. Is the bellhousing included? If you can get the bellhousing that would be great. Haven't done the nv3550 swap but from what I understand it is a direct swap with an ax-15. https://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/transmissions/manual/nv3550/

According to the guy its in great shape, the only reason why he is selling it because he wreck the Comanche that he had the transmission and transfer case and yes it comes with the bell housing.

I have a 02 TJ nv3550 in my 88 MJ if you have any questions. 

I used the ax15 crossmember and Novak 4wd linkage and didn't clearance the floor pan or clock the tcase . I used the 02 clutch and pilot bearing with no issues , iirc my tcase is from a 95 XJ . 

I used the tj shifter which sits pretty high , I like it but also trying to find the correct XJ shifter also played a big role to use the TJ shifter . 

IMG_0078.JPG

11 hours ago, Strokermjcomanche said:

I have a 02 TJ nv3550 in my 88 MJ if you have any questions. 

I used the ax15 crossmember and Novak 4wd linkage and didn't clearance the floor pan or clock the tcase . I used the 02 clutch and pilot bearing with no issues , iirc my tcase is from a 95 XJ . 

I used the tj shifter which sits pretty high , I like it but also trying to find the correct XJ shifter also played a big role to use the TJ shifter . 

IMG_0078.JPG

Awesome and yeah I got several questions about doing this.

1. What did you use for the flywheel?

2.  What did you do for the transmission mount? Did you use an ax15 mount or modify the ba10/5 mount?

3. Did you have to modify the center console ?

4. Anything that you would do differently if you were to do this again?

3 hours ago, Strokermjcomanche said:

I used the ba10 flywheel. 

I used the ax15 mount 

didnt modify the console , but the TJ shifter light presses on the console in the 2,4, and reverse gears . I'm almost confident the XJ shifter wouldn't touch at all . 

Other than possibly the shifter,  nothing 

Just want to double check that i following you along

Tj pilot bearing

ba10/5 flywheel

tj clutch disc

Another set of questions for the pressure plate what did you go with?

Also what did you for the cam potion sensor?

2 hours ago, Blaine.D said:

Just want to double check that i following you along

Tj pilot bearing

ba10/5 flywheel

tj clutch disc

Another set of questions for the pressure plate what did you go with?

Also what did you for the cam potion sensor?

Oriellys brand , blue and black packaging. 

Used the renix cranks sensor , not cam sensor 

3 minutes ago, Strokermjcomanche said:

Oriellys brand , blue and black packaging. 

Used the renix cranks sensor , not cam sensor 

Ok. I apologise I didn't write that right. Did you go with a tj pressure plate or ba10/5 pressure plate?

7 minutes ago, 87MJTIM said:

I am guessing the NV3350 has external slave cylinders.  You should get a clutch kit to match the trans.

It does have external slave cylinder. I will look into that. I just wanted to check to see because I wasn't sure if Chrysler made certain changes that I need to watch out for.

5 minutes ago, Strokermjcomanche said:

TJ pressure plate 

Thanks I appreciate the information. Currently I think the last few questions I got are 

1. Any changes or mods to driveshaft?

2. What did you go with for the clutch master cylinder? MJ? Tj? Xj?

I tried to find info on old forum posts and searching on the internet but there's not a whole lot of info on this swap. Again I appreciate you answering all my questions about this.:L: